Substitution Bias and the Construction of a Spatial Cost of Living Index
We estimate the spatial substitution bias based on the difference between a price index and the true cost of living. We estimate the substitution bias for several different geographical scales, using different base baskets and across several spending quartiles. Our results show a significant substitution bias for small geographic units. The choice of the base basket is relevant for the estimation of the bias. Finally, the spatial substitution bias is higher for higher level quartiles due to the heterogeneity in the consumption basket. This exercise shows how the spatial dimension modifies the construction of a price index. Moreover, the approach of fixed baskets (the axiomatic approach) should be carefully considered in the estimation of spatial price differentials.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:||May 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (55) 355-768
Fax: (55) 355-878
Web page: http://www.economiaucn.com
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Topel, Robert H & Rosen, Sherwin, 1988. "Housing Investment in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 718-40, August.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Duranton, Gilles & Gobillon, Laurent, 2008.
"Spatial wage disparities: Sorting matters!,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 723-742, March.
- Iturra, Victor & Paredes - Araya, Dusan, 2011.
"Construction of a Spatial Housing Price Index by Estimating an Almost Ideal Demand System,"
30581, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Víctor Iturra & Dusan Paredes, 2014. "Construction of a Spatial Housing Price Index by Estimating an Almost Ideal Demand System," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 105(3), pages 301-314, 07.
- Víctor Iturra & Dusan Paredes, 2011. "Construction of a Spatial Housing Price Index by Estimating an Almost Ideal Demand System," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 11, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised May 2011.
- Michael J. Boskin, 1998. "Consumer Prices, the Consumer Price Index, and the Cost of Living," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 3-26, Winter.
- Pollak, Robert A., 1989. "The Theory of the Cost-of-Living Index," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195058703, March.
- Bowden, Roger J, 1992. "Competitive Selection and Market Data: The Mixed-Index Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 625-33, July.
- Jahyeong Koo & Keith Phillips & Fiona Sigalla, 1997.
"Measuring regional cost of living,"
9713, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Braithwait, Steven D, 1980. "The Substitution Bias of the Laspeyres Price Index: An Analysis Using Estimated Cost-of-Living Indexes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(1), pages 64-77, March.
- Dusan Paredes & Patricio Aroca, 2008. "Metodología para Estimar un Indice Regional de Costo de Vivienda en Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(131), pages 129-143.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cat:dtecon:dt201103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dusan Paredes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.