Spatial wage disparities and the role of spatial labor sorting
Spatial wage inequality among Chilean counties reached its peak in 1994, when it represented 19.2% of total wage inequality. By 2009, spatial inequality had decreased to 10.3%. However, when the model included controls on human capital, spatial inequality fell to 6%. This result implies that spatial labor sorting accounts for an average of about 45% of the spatial wage disparity. These findings suggest that policymakers should consider ways to spread human capital throughout the nation as an alternative to reduce spatial inequality.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Angamos 0610, Antofagasta|
Phone: (55) 355-768
Fax: (55) 355-878
Web page: http://www.economiaucn.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- López, Ramón & Miller, Sebastian J., 2008. "Chile: The Unbearable Burden of Inequality," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2679-2695, December.
- Dusan Paredes, 2011. "A methodology to compute regional housing price index using matching estimator methods," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 46(1), pages 139-157, February.
- Dusan Paredes & Patricio Aroca, 2008. "Metodología para Estimar un Indice Regional de Costo de Vivienda en Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(131), pages 129-143.
- Dusan Paredes Araya & Victor Iturra Rivera, 2013.
"Substitution bias and the construction of a spatial cost of living index,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(1), pages 103-117, 03.
- Dusan Paredes & Víctor Iturra, 2011. "Substitution Bias and the Construction of a Spatial Cost of Living Index," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 13, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised May 2011.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cat:dtecon:dt201214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dusan Paredes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.