A further step to understand income inequality in Chile: A decomposition using three-stages nested Theil index decomposition method
The previous literature identifies the high and persistent income inequality of Chile, but the geography of this inequality is still unexplored. To evaluate this dimension, we propose a three-stage decomposition of the Theil index at regional, province and county level. Our decomposition indicates that between 1992 and 2009, 21% of the inequality is attributable to these spatial scales. Inside of them, the highest inequality exists between counties and between regions, although they follow different patterns. The inequality between-counties fell from 65% to 53%. Oppositely, inequality between regions was 21% in 1992, and grew to 35% in 2009.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Angamos 0610, Antofagasta|
Phone: (55) 355-768
Fax: (55) 355-878
Web page: http://www.idearucn.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon, 2011.
"The identification of agglomeration economies,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 253-266, March.
- Pierre-Philippe COMBES & Gilles DURANTON & Laurent GOBILLON, 2010. "The Identification of Agglomeration Economies," Working Papers 2010-52, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon, 2011. "The Identification of Agglomeration Economies," Post-Print halshs-00754555, HAL.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon, 2010. "The Identification of Agglomeration Economies," Working Papers halshs-00535593, HAL.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Duranton, Gilles & Gobillon, Laurent, 2010. "The Identification of Agglomeration Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 8119, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Josef Novotný, 2007. "On the measurement of regional inequality: does spatial dimension of income inequality matter?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 41(3), pages 563-580, September.
- Dusan Paredes Araya & Victor Iturra Rivera, 2013. "Substitution bias and the construction of a spatial cost of living index," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(1), pages 103-117, 03.
- Dusan Paredes & Víctor Iturra, 2011. "Substitution Bias and the Construction of a Spatial Cost of Living Index," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 13, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised May 2011.
- Dante Contreras & Víctor Macías, 2002. "Desigualdad Educacional en Chile: Geografía y Dependencia," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 39(118), pages 395-421.
- X. Zhang & R. Kanbur, 2001. "What Difference Do Polarisation Measures Make? An Application to China," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 85-98.
- Zhang, Siao-Bo & Kanbur, Ravi, 1999. "What Difference Do Polarization Measures Make? An Application To China," Working Papers 7224, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Takahiro Akita, 2003. "Decomposing regional income inequality in China and Indonesia using two-stage nested Theil decomposition method," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 37(1), pages 55-77, 02.
- Anthony Shorrocks & Guanghua Wan, 2005. "Spatial decomposition of inequality," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 59-81, January.
- Shorrocks, Anthony & Wan, Guanghua, 2004. "Spatial Decomposition of Inequality," WIDER Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ramírez, E. & Tartakowsky, A. & Modrego, F., 2009. "La importancia de la desigualdad geográfica en Chile," Working papers 030, Rimisp Latin American Center for Rural Development.
- Claudio Agostini & Phillip Brown, 2007. "Desigualdad geográfica en Chile," Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 22(1), pages 3-33, June.
- Dusan Paredes, 2012. "Alternative theories for explaining the spatial wage inequality: a multilevel competition among human capital, NEG and amenities," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 20, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2012.
- Dusan Paredes, 2011. "A methodology to compute regional housing price index using matching estimator methods," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 46(1), pages 139-157, February.
- Sergio J. Rey, 2001. "Spatial Analysis of Regional Income Inequality," Urban/Regional 0110002, EconWPA.
- Gustafsson, Bjorn & Shi, Li, 2002. "Income inequality within and across counties in rural China 1988 and 1995," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 179-204, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cat:dtecon:dt201211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benjamin Jara)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.