Substitution bias and the construction of a spatial cost of living index
We estimate the spatial substitution bias based on the difference between a price index and the true cost of living. We estimate the substitution bias for several different geographical scales, using different base baskets and across several spending quartiles. Our results show a significant substitution bias for small geographic units. The choice of the base basket is relevant for the estimation of the bias. Finally, the spatial substitution bias is higher for higher level quartiles due to the heterogeneity in the consumption basket. This exercise shows how the spatial dimension modifies the construction of a price index. Moreover, the approach of fixed baskets (the axiomatic approach) should be carefully considered in the estimation of spatial price differentials.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 92 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1056-8190|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roger J. Bowden, 1992. "Competitive Selection and Market Data: The Mixed-Index Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(3), pages 625-633.
- Koo, Jahyeong & Phillips, Keith R. & Sigalla, Fiona, 1997.
"Measuring regional cost of living,"
9713, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Topel, Robert H & Rosen, Sherwin, 1988. "Housing Investment in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 718-740, August.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Duranton, Gilles & Gobillon, Laurent, 2008.
"Spatial wage disparities: Sorting matters!,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 723-742, March.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon, 2008. "Spatial Wage Disparities: Sorting Matters!," Post-Print halshs-00754296, HAL.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Duranton, Gilles & Gobillon, Laurent, 2004. "Spatial Wage Disparities: Sorting Matters!," CEPR Discussion Papers 4240, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Víctor Iturra & Dusan Paredes, 2014.
"Construction of a Spatial Housing Price Index by Estimating an Almost Ideal Demand System,"
Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie,
Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 105(3), pages 301-314, 07.
- Víctor Iturra & Dusan Paredes, 2011. "Construction of a Spatial Housing Price Index by Estimating an Almost Ideal Demand System," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 11, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised May 2011.
- Iturra, Victor & Paredes - Araya, Dusan, 2011. "Construction of a Spatial Housing Price Index by Estimating an Almost Ideal Demand System," MPRA Paper 30581, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pollak, Robert A., 1989. "The Theory of the Cost-of-Living Index," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195058703.
- Dusan Paredes & Patricio Aroca, 2008. "Metodología para Estimar un Indice Regional de Costo de Vivienda en Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(131), pages 129-143.
- Michael J. Boskin, 1998. "Consumer Prices, the Consumer Price Index, and the Cost of Living," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 3-26, Winter.
- Braithwait, Steven D, 1980. "The Substitution Bias of the Laspeyres Price Index: An Analysis Using Estimated Cost-of-Living Indexes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(1), pages 64-77, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:presci:v:92:y:2013:i:1:p:103-117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.