The politics of aid revisited: a review of evidence on state capacity and elite commitment
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Robinson, William I., 2010. "Global Capitalism Theory and the Emergence of the Transnational Elites," WIDER Working Paper Series 002, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Janine Aron, 2003.
"Building institutions in post-conflict African economies,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 471-485.
- Aron, Janine, 2002. "Building Institutions in Post-Conflict African Economies," WIDER Working Paper Series 124, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Alesina, Alberto & Dollar, David, 2000.
"Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 33-63, March.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," NBER Working Papers 6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dollar, David & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," Scholarly Articles 4553020, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Sarantis Kalyvitis & Irene Vlachaki, 2010. "Democratic Aid And The Democratization Of Recipients," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(2), pages 188-218, April.
- Richard Batley & Claire Mcloughlin, 2010. "Engagement with Non-State Service Providers in Fragile States: Reconciling State-Building and Service Delivery," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(2), pages 131-154, March.
- Kosack, Stephen, 2003. "Effective Aid: How Democracy Allows Development Aid to Improve the Quality of Life," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Di John, Jonathan, 2006. "The Political Economy of Taxation and Tax Reform in Developing Countries," WIDER Working Paper Series 074, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Arjan de Haan, 2010. "The Financial Crisis and Chinaâ€™s â€œHarmonious Societyâ€," Journal of Current Chinese Affairs - China aktuell, Institute of Asian Studies, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, Hamburg, vol. 39(2), pages 69-99.
- Channing Arndt & Sam Jones & Finn Tarp, 2009. "Aid and Growth: Have We Come Full Circle?," WIDER Working Paper Series WIDER Discussion Paper 20, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Hristos Doucouliagos & Martin Paldam, 2009.
"The Aid Effectiveness Literature: The Sad Results Of 40 Years Of Research,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 433-461, July.
- Hristos Doucouliagos & Martin Paldam, 2005. "The Aid Effectiveness Literature. The Sad Result of 40 Years of Research," Economics Working Papers 2005-15, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Doucouliagos , H. & Paldam, M., 2007. "The aid effectiveness literature: The sad results of 40 years of research," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0773, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001.
"The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1369-1401, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2000. "The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 7771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tony Killick, 1997. "Principals, Agents And The Failings Of Conditionality," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 483-495.
- repec:taf:ctwqxx:v:32:y:2011:i:4:p:673-688 is not listed on IDEAS
- Knack, Stephen & Rogers, F. Halsey & Eubank, Nicholas, 2011. "Aid Quality and Donor Rankings," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1907-1917.
- Andrew S. Natsios, 2006. "Five Debates on International Development: The US Perspective," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(2), pages 131-139, March.
- Moore, Mick, 2007. "How Does Taxation Affect the Quality of Governance?," Working Papers 12795, Institute of Development Studies, International Centre for Tax and Development.
- Odd-Helge Fjeldstad, 2000. "Taxation, coercion and donors. Local government tax enforcement in Tanzania," CMI Working Papers 7, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Mark McGillivray & Simon Feeny & Niels Hermes & Robert Lensink, 2006. "Controversies over the impact of development aid: it works; it doesn't; it can, but that depends …," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(7), pages 1031-1050.
- Arnab Acharya & Ana Teresa Fuzzo de Lima & Mick Moore, 2006. "Proliferation and fragmentation: Transactions costs and the value of aid," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 1-21.
- Dollar, David & Levin, Victoria, 2006. "The Increasing Selectivity of Foreign Aid, 1984-2003," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2034-2046, December.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Serra, Renata, 2011. "Endogenous Economic Reforms and Local Realities: Cotton policy-making in Burkina Faso," Discussion Papers 116227, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Andrews, Matthew R., 2010. "How Far Have Public Financial Management Reforms Come in Africa?," Scholarly Articles 4448885, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Nelson, Joan M., 1984. "The political economy of stabilization: Commitment, capacity, and public response," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(10), pages 983-1006, October.
- de Haan, Arjan & Everest-Phillips, Max, 2007. "Can New Aid Modalities Handle Politics?," WIDER Working Paper Series 063, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- David Hulme & Sakiko Fukuda-Parr, 2009. "International Norm Dynamics and ‘the End of Poverty’: Understanding the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)," Global Development Institute Working Paper Series 9609, GDI, The University of Manchester.
- Tavares, Jose, 2003. "Does foreign aid corrupt?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 99-106, April.
- Younas, Javed, 2008. "Motivation for bilateral aid allocation: Altruism or trade benefits," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 661-674, September.
- Molenaers, Nadia & Cepinskas, Linas & Jacobs, Bert, 2010. "Budget support and policy/political dialogue: donor practices in handling (political) crises," IOB Discussion Papers 2010.06, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy (IOB).
- Frank Khachina Matanga, 2010. "NGOs and the Politics of Development in Africa," Development, Palgrave Macmillan;Society for International Deveopment, vol. 53(1), pages 114-119, March.
- Eric Neumayer, 2003. "Do Human Rights Matter in Bilateral Aid Allocation? A Quantitative Analysis of 21 Donor Countries," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 84(3), pages 650-666.
- Morss, Elliott R., 1984. "Institutional destruction resulting from donor and project proliferation in Sub-Saharan African countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 465-470, April.
- Andrews, Matt, 2010. "How Far Have Public Financial Management Reforms Come in Africa?," Working Paper Series rwp10-018, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Todd Moss & Gunilla Pettersson & Nicolas van de Walle, 2006. "An Aid-Institutions Paradox? A Review Essay on Aid Dependency and State Building in Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers 74, Center for Global Development.
- Browne, Stephen, 2007. "Aid to Fragile States: Do Donors Help or Hinder?," WIDER Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Anderson, Michael & Branchflower, Andrew & Moreno-Torres, Magui & Besancon, Marie, 2005. "Measuring Capacity And Willingness For Poverty Reduction In Fragile States," PRDE Working Papers 12820, Department for International Development (DFID) (UK).
- Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2007. "Does Aid Affect Governance?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 322-327, May.
- Hanlon, Joseph & Mosse,, Marcelo, 2010. "Mozambique’s Elite – Finding its Way in a Globalized World and Returning to Old Development Models," WIDER Working Paper Series 105, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bwp:bwppap:esid-007-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rowena Harding). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/wpmanuk.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.