The aid effectiveness literature: The sad results of 40 years of research
The aid effectiveness literature (AEL) consists of empirical macro studies of the effects of development aid. By the end of 2004, it had reached 97 econometric studies of three families, which have been analyzed in one study for each family using meta-analysis. The AEL is an ideal subject for meta-analysis as it uses only a few formally similar models which try to catch precisely the same effects. Also, it is an area with strong beliefs – often generated by altruism – and interests. In this survey of the AEL, we shows that when the whole of the literature is examined, a clear pattern emerges in the results: after 40 years of development aid, the evidence indicates that aid has not been effective. We show that the distribution of results is significantly asymmetrical in a way that reflects the reluctance of the research community to publish negative results. The Dutch Disease effect of aid has been ignored but is a plausible explanation for aid ineffectiveness.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haldrup, Niels & Hylleberg, Svend & Pons, Gabriel & Sanso, Andreu, 2007.
"Common Periodic Correlation Features and the Interaction of Stocks and Flows in Daily Airport Data,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 21-32, January.
- Niels Haldrup & Svend Hylleberg & Gabriel Pons & Jaume Rosselló & Andreu Sansó, 2005. "Common Periodic Correlation Features and the Interaction of Stocks and Flows in Daily Airport Data," Economics Working Papers 2005-03, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Francesco Busato & Bruno Chiarini & Enrico Marchetti, 2005. "Fiscal Policy under Indeterminacy and Tax Evasion," Economics Working Papers 2005-09, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Weisskopf, Thomas E, 1972. "An Econometric Test of Alternative Constraints on the Growth of Underdeveloped Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(1), pages 67-78, February.
- Hristos Doucouliagos & Martin Paldam, 2005. "Aid Effectiveness on Growth. A Meta Study," Economics Working Papers 2005-13, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:0773. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jake Dyer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.