Technological Innovations and the Allocation of Decision-Making Authorities in Swiss Firms
Since several decades, information and communication technologies (ICT) as well as new organizational designs change the working life in firms. Using nationally representative Swiss firm-level panel data, the present paper analyzes the relationship between these developments and examines, whether ICT is associated with centralization or decentralization tendencies. The results suggest a positive impact of ICT on the degree of delegation. Furthermore, the diffusion of ICT use within the workforce and the intensity of ICT investments are essential for the decentralization effect of ICT. Thus, reduced agency costs owing to ICT use result in decentralized decision-making authorities in Swiss firms. The results are robust to potential endogeneity biases like reversed causality and unobserved firm characteristics.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Peter-Merian-Weg 6, Postfach, CH-4002 Basel|
Web page: http://wwz.unibas.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Claire Lelarge & John Van Reenen & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2007.
"Technology, Information, and the Decentralization of the Firm,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 122(4), pages 1759-1799.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Claire Lelarge & John Van Reenen & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2006. "Technology, information and the decentralization of the firm," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 778, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Claire Lelarge & John Van Reenen & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2006. "Technology, Information and the Decentralization of the Firm," NBER Working Papers 12206, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zilibotti, Fabrizio & Van Reenen, John & Lelarge, Claire & Aghion, Philippe & Acemoglu, Daron, 2007. "Technology, Information, and the Decentralization of the Firm," Scholarly Articles 4481506, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Aghion, Philippe & Lelarge, Claire & Van Reenen, John & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2006. "Technology, Information and the Decentralization of the Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 5678, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Claire Lelarge & John Van Reenen & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2006. "Technology, Information and the Decentralization of the Firm," CEP Discussion Papers dp0722, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bsl:wpaper:2011/04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WWZ)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.