Reframing the EU budget- decision-making process
This paper traces the history of the EU budget and draws lessons for the review to come. Whatever reforms are proposed, the authors believe that they must serve to shift spending to policy areas and instruments where the EU can best add value while at the same time recognising the political need for member states to present EU budget negotiation results in Â?net-balanceâ?? terms. A two-stage negotiation is proposed: first member states should negotiate and agree on what constitute EU public goods. Everything else would thereafter - by default - be deemed redistributive/compensatory spending to be financed on the basis of member statesâ?? current overall net balances.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +32 2 227 4210
Web page: http://www.bruegel.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Baldwin & Joseph F. Francois & Richard Portes, 1997. "The costs and benefits of eastern enlargement: the impact on the EU and central Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 125-176, 04.
- Charles B. Blankart & Christian Kirchner, 2003. "The Deadlock of the EU Budget: An Economic Analysis of Ways In and Ways Out," CESifo Working Paper Series 989, CESifo Group Munich.
- Angel de la Fuente & Rafael Doménech & Vasja Rant, 2008.
"Addressing the net balances problem as a prerequisite for EU budget reform: A proposal,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
738.08, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Angel de la Fuente & Rafael Doménech & Vasja Rant, 2010. "Addressing the Net Balances Problem as a Prerequisite for EU Budget Reform: A Proposal," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 56(2), pages 221-250, June.
- Angel de la Fuente & Rafael DomÃ©nech & Vasja Rant, 2015. "Addressing the net balances problem as a prerequisite for EU budget reform: A proposal," Working Papers 343, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bre:wpaper:306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.