The Survival of Family Firms: The Importance of Control and Family Ties
The aim of this paper is to analyze the survival patterns of a group of family firms which have already spent at least twenty-five years in the market. To this end, we use the Kaplan-Meier product limit estimator supplemented with qualitative information gathered by direct observation and discussions with entrepreneurs. The main findings of the paper are that small family firms which have reached their thirtieth year in the market face a very high risk of sudden exit, increasing with firm age. Further control carried out by means of interviews with entrepreneurs identifies problems connected with succession as one of the main causes of the decision to close down.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Forni, Mario & Paba, Sergio, 2002. "Spillovers and the Growth of Local Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 151-171, June.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-670, May.
- Severin Borenstein & Joseph Farrell, 1998. "Inside the Pin-Factory: Empirical Studies Augmented by Manager Interviews," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bore98-1, Enero.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Vincenzo Quadrini, 2001.
"Financial Markets and Firm Dynamics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1286-1310, December.
- Santarelli Enrico, 2001. "Ricambio generazionale e continuità dell'impresa: un'applicazione dello stimatore di Kaplan-Meier," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 141-172.
- Bjuggren, Per-Olof & Sund, Lars-Goran, 2002. "A Transaction Cost Rationale for Transition of the Firm within the Family," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 123-133, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:461. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.