An Indicator Measuring Underlying Economic Activity in Greece
Using a state space formulation developed by Stock and Watson and Garratt and Hall we construct an indicator, which then is interpreted as a measure of the underlying economic activity of the Greek economy. The chief novelty of the paper is that the underlying model is calibrated, rather than estimated, using sample information. Our approach is more flexible than the original one, in that it provides the possibility to cope with outlying observations and to evaluate particular shocks affecting the economy using judgmental interventions. The new indicator could be very helpful for short run policy analysis signalling emerging economic problems.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Filippo Altissimo & Antonio Bassanetti & Riccardo Cristadoro & Mario Forni & Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin & Giovanni Veronese, 2001. "A real time coincident indicator of the euro area business cycle," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 436, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Altissimo, Filippo & Bassanetti, Antonio & Cristadoro, Riccardo & Forni, Mario & Hallin, Marc & Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia & Veronese, Giovanni, 2001.
"EuroCOIN: A Real Time Coincident Indicator of the Euro Area Business Cycle,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3108, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario Forno & Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin & Filippo Altissimo & Antonio Bassanetti, 2003. "Eurocoin: A Real Time Coincident Indicator Of The Euro Area Business Cycle," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 242, Society for Computational Economics.
- Forni, Mario & Hallin, Marc & Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2000. "Reference Cycles: The NBER Methodology Revisited," CEPR Discussion Papers 2400, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Garratt, Anthony & Hall, Stephen G, 1996. "Measuring Underlying Economic Activity," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 135-51, March-Apr.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bog:wpaper:04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.