Forecasting Austrian GDP using the generalized dynamic factor model
In this paper, a generalized dynamic factor model is utilized to produce short-term forecasts of real Austrian GDP. The model follows the frequency domain approach proposed by Forni, Hallin, Lippi and Reichlin (2000, 2003). The forecasting performance of the model with a large data set of 143 variables has been assessed relative to simple univariate time-series forecasts. The results show that the factor model can barely outperform the much simpler benchmark model, given the usuall levels of significance. Thus we followed a line of research proposed by Boivin and Ng (2003) and Watson (2000), who suggested that the use of a small data set may increase the forecasting performance. The main finding from our extensive out-of-sample forecasting experiment that we have conducted is that the best forecasting performance can be achieved with small data sets with a handful of variables only. These models perform signifi- cantly better than the large model. This result seems to contradict the basic idea of dynamic factor models, which have been constructed to exploit the potentially useful information of a large data set.
|Date of creation:||27 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7205
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7299
Web page: http://www.oenb.at/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Economic Studies Division, c/o Beate Hofbauer-Berlakovich, POB 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Artis, Michael J & Banerjee, Anindya & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2002.
"Factor Forecasts for the UK,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3119, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Artis & Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino, . "Factor forecasts for the UK," Working Papers 203, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Michael ARTIS & Anindya BANERJEE & Massimiliano MARCELLINO, 2001. "Factor Forecasts for the UK," Economics Working Papers ECO2001/15, European University Institute.
- Jean Boivin & Serena Ng, 2003.
"Are More Data Always Better for Factor Analysis?,"
NBER Working Papers
9829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mario Forno & Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin & Filippo Altissimo & Antonio Bassanetti, 2003.
"Eurocoin: A Real Time Coincident Indicator Of The Euro Area Business Cycle,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2003
242, Society for Computational Economics.
- Altissimo, Filippo & Bassanetti, Antonio & Cristadoro, Riccardo & Forni, Mario & Hallin, Marc & Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia & Veronese, Giovanni, 2001. "EuroCOIN: A Real Time Coincident Indicator of the Euro Area Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 3108, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:onb:oenbwp:89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Knell and Helmut Stix)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.