Downsizing, Job Insecurity, and Firm Reputation
This paper studies how firms make layoff decisions in the presence of adverse shocks. In this uncertain environment, workers' expectations about their job security affect their on-the-job performance. This productivity effect of job insecurity forces firms to strike a balance between laying off redundant workers and maintaining survivors' commitment when deciding on the amount and timing of downsizing. This framework offers an explanation of conservative employment practices (such as zero or reduced layoffs) based on firms having private information about their future profits. High retention rates and wages can signal that the firm has a bright future, boosting workers' confidence. Moreover, the model provides clear predictions about when waves of downsizing will occur as opposed to one-time massive cuts.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 93 542-1222
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://www.barcelonagse.eu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Levin, 2000.
"Relational Incentive Contracts,"
01002, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:102:y:1987:i:1:p:147-59 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul R. Milgrom & John Roberts, 1984.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
709, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bengt Holmstrom, 1980.
"Contractural Models of the Labor Market,"
442, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Kreps, David M. & Wilson, Robert, 1982.
"Reputation and imperfect information,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 253-279, August.
- Dewatripont, M & Roland, G, 1992.
"The Virtues of Gradualism and Legitimacy in the Transition to a Market Economy,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(411), pages 291-300, March.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Gérard Roland, 1992. "The virtues of gradualism and legitimacy in the transition to a market economy," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9587, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Roland, Gérard, 1991. "The Virtues of Gradualism and Legitimacy in the Transition to a Market Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 538, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Gérard Roland, 1995.
"The design of reform packages under uncertainty,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9607, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1992.
"Earnings losses of displaced workers,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
92-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Carmichael, H Lorne, 1984. "Reputations in the Labor Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 713-25, September.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- repec:oup:restud:v:59:y:1992:i:4:p:703-30 is not listed on IDEAS
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, June.
- Jeon, D.-S. & Laffont, J.-J., 1998.
"The Efficient Mechanism for Downsizing the Public Sector,"
98.509, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1999. "The Efficient Mechanism for Downsizing the Public Sector," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(1), pages 67-88, January.
- Moretti, Enrico, 2000. " Do Wages Compensate for Risk of Unemployment? Parametric and Semiparametric Evidence from Seasonal Jobs," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 45-66, January.
- repec:oup:restud:v:41:y:1974:i:1:p:37-50 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:109:y:1994:i:4:p:1125-56 is not listed on IDEAS
- Henry Farber, 2003. "Job Loss in the United States, 1981-2001," NBER Working Papers 9707, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin F. Butcher & Kevin F. Hallock, 2004. "Job loss: causes, consequences, and policy responses," Chicago Fed Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Oct.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:106:y:1991:i:4:p:1373-83 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mathias Dewatripont, 1992.
"Economic Reform and Dynamic Political Constraints,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/175991, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Gordon, Donald F, 1974. "A Neo-Classical Theory of Keynesian Unemployment," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(4), pages 431-59, December.
- Schmidt, Stefanie R, 1999. "Long-Run Trends in Workers' Beliefs about Their Own Job Security: Evidence from the General Social Survey," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages S127-41, October.
- Davis, Steven J. & Haltiwanger, John, 1999. "Gross job flows," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 41, pages 2711-2805 Elsevier.
- Kyle Bagwell & Garey Ramey, 1988.
"Advertising and Limit Pricing,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(1), pages 59-71, Spring.
- Azariadis, Costas, 1975. "Implicit Contracts and Underemployment Equilibria," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(6), pages 1183-1202, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bge:wpaper:144. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.