The Role of Hedonic Methods in Measuring Real GDP in the United States
Accurate price indexes are crucial for preparing accurate estimates of real gross domestic product and corresponding productivity measures. The price index must capture price change for a ‘relevant’ market basket goods, while at the same time controlling for changes in characteristics and/or quality of these goods. Traditional price indexes (i.e. ‘matched model’) are well suited to capturing price change for goods that exhibit little or no quality change over time, however, for products whose characteristics and/or quality are changing rapidly (e.g. ICT goods), hedonic methods may be more suitable. This paper provides a brief history of hedonic methods employed by U.S. statistical agencies and specifically examines the role of hedonic price indexes in the U.S. National Income and Product Accounts. It also attempts to dispel some popular misconceptions about hedonic methods.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 202-482-4883|
Web page: http://www.bea.gov/research/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul E. Pieper, 1991. "The Measurement of Construction Prices: Retrospect and Prospect," NBER Chapters, in: Fifty Years of Economic Measurement: The Jubilee of the Conference on Research in Income and Wealth, pages 239-272 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995.
"Exact Hedonic Price Indexes,"
Department of Economics
95-11, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Katharine G. Abraham & John S. Greenlees & Brent R. Moulton, 1998. "Working to Improve the Consumer Price Index," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 27-36, Winter.
- Randolph, William C, 1988. "Housing Depreciation and Aging Bias in the Consumer Price Index," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(3), pages 359-71, July.
- Mick Silver & Saeed Heravi, 2003. "The Measurement of Quality-Adjusted Price Changes," NBER Chapters, in: Scanner Data and Price Indexes, pages 277-316 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Gillingham, 1975. "Place to Place Rent Comparisons," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 4, number 1, pages 153-178 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert P. Parker & Bruce T. Grimm, 2000. "Recognition of Business and Government Expenditures for Software as Investment: Methodology and Quantitative Impacts, 1959-98," BEA Papers 0002, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bea:papers:0067. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bryn Whitmire)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.