Price Indexes for Medical Care Goods and Services: An Overview of Measurement Issues
We review in considerable detail the conceptual and measurement issues that underly construction of medical care price indexes in the U.S., particularly the medical care consumer price indexes (MCPIs) and medical-related producer price indexes (MPPIs). We outline salient features of the medical care marketplace, including the impacts of insurance, moral hazard, principal-agent relationships, technological progress and organizational changes. Since observed data are unlikely to correspond with efficient outcomes, we discuss implications of the failure of transactions data in this market to reveal reliable marginal valuations, and the consequent need to augment traditional transactions data with information based on cost-effectiveness and outcomes studies. We describe procedures currently used by the BLS in constructing MCPIs and MPPIs, including recent revisions, and then consider alternative notions of medical care output pricing that involve the price or cost of an episode of treatment, rather than prices of fixed bundles of inputs. We outline features of a proposed new experimental price index -- a medical care expenditure price index - that is more suitable for evaluation of medical care cost changes, than are the current MCPIs and MPPIs. We conclude by suggesting future research and measurement issues that are most likely to be fruitful.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.economics.harvard.edu/journals/hier
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randall P. Ellis, 2012. "risk adjustment," The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1970. "The Rising Price of Physicians' Services," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(2), pages 121-33, May.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Susan H. Busch & Richard G. Frank, 1998. "Price Indexes for Acute Phase Treatment of Depression," NBER Working Papers 6799, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Katharine G. Abraham & John S. Greenlees & Brent R. Moulton, 1998. "Working to Improve the Consumer Price Index," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 27-36, Winter.
- David M. Cutler & Mark McClellan & Joseph P. Newhouse & Dahlia Remler, 1999.
"Pricing Heart Attack Treatments,"
NBER Working Papers
7089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert B. Archibald, 1977. "On the Theory of Industrial Price Measurement Output Price Indexes," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 6, number 1, pages 57-72 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- F. M. Fisher & K. Shell, 1970. "The Pure Theory of the National-Output Deflator," Working papers 59, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Griliches, Zvi & Rosett, Joshua G, 1993.
"Auditing the Producer Price Index: Micro Evidence from Prescription Pharamceutical Preparations,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 11(3), pages 251-64, July.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches & Joshua G. Rosett, 1992. "Auditing the Producer Price Index: Micro Evidence From Prescription Pharmaceutical Preparations," NBER Working Papers 4009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iain M. Cockburn & Aslam H. Anis, 1998.
"Hedonic Analysis of Arthritis Drugs,"
NBER Working Papers
6574, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fisher, Franklin M & Griliches, Zvi, 1995. "Aggregate Price Indices, New Goods, and Generics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(1), pages 229-44, February.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Robert J. Gordon, 1996. "The Economics of New Goods," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bres96-1, August.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Cutler, David M. & Frank, Richard G. & Griliches, Zvi & Newhouse, Joseph P. & Triplett, Jack E., 2000. "Medical care prices and output," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 119-180 Elsevier.
- Michael J. Boskin, 1998. "Consumer Prices, the Consumer Price Index, and the Cost of Living," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 3-26, Winter.
- David M. Cutler & Mark McClellan & Joseph P. Newhouse & Dahlia Remler, 1996. "Are Medical Prices Declining?," NBER Working Papers 5750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul A. Armknecht & Daniel H. Ginsburg, 1992. "Improvements in Measuring Price Changes in Consumer Services: Past, Present, and Future," NBER Chapters, in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 109-157 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:harver:1851. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.