Financial Accelerator Mechanism in a Small Open Economy
Using Bayesian estimation techniques, we estimate a small open economy DSGE model with credit-market imperfections for the Colombian economy. Using the estimated model we investigate what are the sources of business cycle fluctuations. We show that balance-sheet effects play an important role in explaining recent Colombian business cycles. We then perform a counterfactual exercise that shows that fixed exchange rate regime could have exacerbated the financial distress in the economy between 1998-1999.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cra 7 # 14-78 Piso 7|
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.gov.co/es/publicaciones-buscador/23
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter N. Ireland, 2002.
"Endogenous Money or Sticky Prices?,"
NBER Working Papers
9390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raquel Bernal, 2002.
"Monetary Policy Rules In Colombia,"
003251, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998.
"The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework,"
NBER Working Papers
6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999. "The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393 Elsevier.
- Bernanke, B. & Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," Working Papers 98-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1999.
"Monetary policy and asset price volatility,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 77-128.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist & Fabio M. Natalucci, 2007.
"External Constraints on Monetary Policy and the Financial Accelerator,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(2-3), pages 295-330, 03.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist & Fabio M. Natalucci, 2001. "External constraints on monetary policy and the financial accelerator," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist & Fabio M. Natalucci, 2003. "External constraints on monetary policy and the financial accelerator," BIS Working Papers 139, Bank for International Settlements.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist & Fabio Natalucci, 2003. "External Constraints on Monetary Policy and the Financial Accelerator," NBER Working Papers 10128, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1998.
"Financial crises in emerging markets: a canonical model,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
98-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Chang, R. & Velasco, A., 1998. "Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: A Canonical Model," Working Papers 98-21, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ichiro Fukunaga, 2002. "Financial Accelerator Effects in Japan's Business Cycles," Bank of Japan Working Paper Series Research and Statistics D, Bank of Japan.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:525. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.