The quality of public services in Italy
This paper provides a survey of a number of studies conducted in recent years, above all at the Bank of Italy, aiming at assessing the quality and the efficiency of public services in Italy. We consider services provided by the central government (education and civil justice), regional governments (health) and municipalities (local public transportation, waste disposal, water and gas supply, and childcare). The analysis shows in general that Italy lags behind noticeably compared with other countries and there are large regional differences in terms of both quality and efficiency, regardless of the level of government providing the service. The lags seem to be attributable, depending on the case, to agentsï¿½ incentives, citizensï¿½ behaviour and the regulation. Furthermore, the analysis emphasizes the need for more information to enhance our understanding of the problems and improve the effectiveness of action taken to counter them.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magda Bianco & Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano, 2001.
"Courts and Banks: Effects of Judicial Enforcement on Credit Markets,"
CSEF Working Papers
58, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 09 Apr 2002.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco & Bianco, Magda, 2005. "Courts and Banks: Effects of Judicial Enforcement on Credit Markets," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 37(2), pages 223-244, April.
- Bianco, Magda & Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 2002. "Courts and Banks: Effects of Judicial Enforcement on Credit Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 3347, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Krishna B. Kumar & Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, "undated".
"What Determines Firm Size?,"
CRSP working papers
496, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Kumar, Krishna B & Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1999. "What Determines Firm Size?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2211, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Krishna B. Kumar & Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1999. "What Determines Firm Size?," NBER Working Papers 7208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raffaela Giordano & Pietro Tommasino, 2013.
"Public-Sector Efficiency and Political Culture,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 69(3), pages 289-316, September.
- A. Rosolia & P. Cipollone, 2004. "Social Interactions in Schooling," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 335, Econometric Society.
- Rita Cappariello & Roberta Zizza, 2010.
"Dropping the Books and Working Off the Books,"
CEIS, vol. 24(2), pages 139-162, 06.
- Gianna Barbieri & Piero Cipollone & Paolo Sestito, 2008.
"Labour market for teachers: Demographic characteristics and allocative mechanisms,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
672, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Gianna Barbieri & Piero Cipollone & Paolo Sestito, 2007. "Labour Market for Teachers: Demographic Characteristics and Allocative Mechanisms," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 66(3), pages 335-373, November.
- Magda Bianco & Silvia Giacomelli, 2004. "Efficienza della giustizia e imprenditorialità: il caso italiano," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2004(124).
- Eric A. Hanushek & Ludger Woessmann, 2007.
"The Role of School Improvement in Economic Development,"
NBER Working Papers
12832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Ludger Woessmann, 2007. "The Role of School Improvement in Economic Development," CESifo Working Paper Series 1911, CESifo Group Munich.
- Benhabib, Jess & Spiegel, Mark M., 2005.
"Human Capital and Technology Diffusion,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 13, pages 935-966
- Laeven, Luc & Woodruff, Christopher, 2004.
"The quality of the legal system, firm ownership, andfirm size,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3246, The World Bank.
- Luc Laeven & Christopher Woodruff, 2007. "The Quality of the Legal System, Firm Ownership, and Firm Size," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 601-614, November.
- David Aschauer, 1998.
"Public Capital and Economic Growth: Issues of Quantity, Finance, and Efficiency,"
- Aschauer, David Alan, 2000. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: Issues of Quantity, Finance, and Efficiency," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 391-406, January.
- David Alan Aschauer, 1998. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: Issues of Quantity, Finance, and Efficiency," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_233, Levy Economics Institute.
- Robert J. Barro, 2001. "Human Capital and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 12-17, May.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2006.
"Disease and Development: The Effect of Life Expectancy on Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
12269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2007. "Disease and Development: The Effect of Life Expectancy on Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(6), pages 925-985, December.
- Sauro Mocetti, 2012.
"Educational choices and the selection process: before and after compulsory schooling,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 189-209, February.
- Sauro Mocetti, 2008. "Educational choices and the selection process before and after compulsory schooling," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 691, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Magda Bianco & Silvia Giacomelli & Cristina Giorgiantonio & Giuliana Palumbo & Bruna Szego, 2007. "La durata (eccessiva) dei procedimenti civili in Italia: offerta, domanda o rito?," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 97(5), pages 3-54, September.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-437.
- Salvador Barrios & Andrea Schaechter, 2008. "The quality of public finances and economic growth," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 337, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Amanda Carmignani & Silvia Giacomelli, 2010. "Too many lawyers? Litigation in Italian civil courts," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 745, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Maura Francese & Marzia Romanelli, 2011. "Healthcare in Italy: expenditure determinants and regional differentials," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 828, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Del Boca Daniela & Pasqua Silvia & Pronzato Chiara, 2006.
"The Impact of Institutions on Motherhood and Work,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers
200608, University of Turin.
- Daniela Del Boca & Silvia Pasqua & Chiara Pronzato, 2007. "The Impact Of Institutions On Motherhood And Work," CHILD Working Papers wp06_07, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Del Boca, Daniela & Pasqua, Silvia & Pronzato, Chiara, 2006. "The impact of institutions on motherhood and work," ISER Working Paper Series 2006-55, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Klapper, Leora & Laeven, Luc & Rajan, Raghuram, 2006. "Entry regulation as a barrier to entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 591-629, December.
- Stefano Scarpetta & Philip Hemmings & Thierry Tressel & Jaejoon Woo, 2002. "The Role of Policy and Institutions for Productivity and Firm Dynamics: Evidence from Micro and Industry Data," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 329, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_84_11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.