Are there alternatives to bankruptcy? a study of small business distress in Spain
Small businesses, the majority of Spanish fi rms, rarely fi le for formal bankruptcy, and this has been the case even during the current economic crisis. This suggests that bankruptcy law has a limited role to play in the distress of small fi rms. We propose an explanation based on two premises: (i) bankruptcy procedures are more costly and drawn out than the main alternative procedure, the mortgage foreclosure; (ii) personal bankruptcy law is unattractive to the individual debtor. Empirical analyses on a large micro data sample of Spanish, French and UK fi rms corroborate our hypothesis. It is important to note that these results are based on data that do not yet capture the impact of recent reforms of the Spanish insolvency framework.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bde.es/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Armour, 2001. "The Law and Economics of Corporate Insolvency: A Review," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp197, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Sundaram, Rangarajan K. & John, Kose, 2011.
"Cross-country variations in capital structures: The role of bankruptcy codes,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 25-54, January.
- Acharya, Viral V & John, Kose & Sundaram, Rangarajan K, 2005. "Cross-Country Variations in Capital Structures: The Role of Bankruptcy Codes," CEPR Discussion Papers 4916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Régis Blazy & Bertrand Chopard & Eric Langlais & Ydriss Ziane, 2013.
"Personal Bankruptcy Law, Fresh Starts, and Judicial Practice,"
Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE),
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 169(4), pages 680-702, December.
- Régis Blazy & Bertrand Chopard & Eric Langlais & Ydriss Ziane, 2011. "Personal Bankruptcy Law, Fresh Starts, and Judicial Practice," EconomiX Working Papers 2011-15, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Régis Blazy & Bertrand Chopard & Eric Langlais & Ydriss Ziane, 2013. "Personal bankruptcy law, fresh starts and judicial practice," Post-Print hal-01385890, HAL.
- Césaire A. Meh & Yaz Terajima, 2008. "Unsecured Debt, Consumer Bankruptcy, and Small Business," Staff Working Papers 08-5, Bank of Canada.
- Miguel García-Posada & Juan S. Mora-Sanguinetti, 2012. "Why do spanish firms rarely use the bankruptcy system? The role of the mortgage institution," Working Papers 1234, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Stefano Rossi, 2012.
"Contractual Resolutions of Financial Distress,"
651, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053, December.
- Julian Franks & Oren Sussman, 2005. "Financial Distress and Bank Restructuring of Small to Medium Size UK Companies," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 65-96, 03.
- Marco Celentani & Miguel García-Posada & Fernando Gómez, 2010. "The Spanish Business Bankruptcy Puzzle and the Crisis," Working Papers 2010-11, FEDEA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:1315. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (María Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de España)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.