The role of the IMF in recent sovereign debt restructurings: Implications for the policy of lending into arrears
This paper analyzes the role played by the IMF in eight recent sovereign debt restructurings from a comparative perspective: Argentina (2001-2005), the Dominican Republic (2004-2005), Ecuador (1999-2000), Pakistan (1998-2001), the Russian Federation (1998-2001), Serbia (2000-2004), Ukraine (1998-2000) and Uruguay (2004). Our objective is to identify the various dimensions of the IMF's potential involvement during those processes, and to extract some relevant policy implications to reform the Policy of Lending Into Arrears. We find that the IMF can potentially exert a substantial influence on sovereign debt restructurings by influencing countries' decision to restructure when the debt burden is deemed unsustainable, by providing official finance to substitute for a loss of access to international financial markets, by setting a medium-term domestic adjustment path through conditionality, by providing 'independent' information at a time of heightened uncertainty, and by providing incentives both to creditors and debtors. However, a lack of consistency has tended to characterize the role of the IMF in recent sovereign debt restructurings. In part, this reflects the flexibility with which the IMF has adapted its intervention to country-specific factors. However, we argue that this lack of consistency has tended to exacerbate the uncertainty and information asymmetries that are often associated with sovereign debt restructurings, and that a more systematic approach is needed.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bde.es/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eichengreen, Barry & Portes, Richard, 1989.
"Dealing with Debt: The 1930s and the 1980s,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
300, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Portes, Richard, 1989. "Dealing with Debt: The 1930s and the 1980s," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7666n7r4, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, B. & Portes, R., 1989. "Dealing with Debt: The 1930's and the 1980's," DELTA Working Papers 89-04, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Barry Eichengreen & Richard Portes, 1989. "Dealing With Debt: The 1930s and the 1980s," NBER Working Papers 2867, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen and Richard Portes., 1989. "Dealing with Debt: The 1930s and the 1980s," Economics Working Papers 89-104, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Portes, Richard, 1989. "Dealing with debt : the 1930's and the 1980's," Policy Research Working Paper Series 259, The World Bank.
- Harald Finger & Mauro Mecagni, 2007. "Sovereign Debt Restructuring and Debt Sustainability; An Analysis of Recent Cross-Country Experience," IMF Occasional Papers 255, International Monetary Fund.
- Bjoern Rother & Ivetta Hakobyan & Monica B de Bolle, 2006. "The Level and Composition of Public Sector Debt in Emerging Market Crises," IMF Working Papers 06/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Javier Díaz-Cassou & Aitor Erce-Domínguez & Juan J. Vázquez-Zamora, 2008. "Recent episodes of sovereign debt restructurings. A case-study approach," Occasional Papers 0804, Banco de España;Occasional Papers Homepage.
- Abbigail J. Chiodo & Michael T. Owyang, 2002. "A case study of a currency crisis: the Russian default of 1998," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 7-18.
- Federico Sturzenegger & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2007. "Creditors' Losses Versus Debt Relief: Results from a Decade of Sovereign Debt Crises," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 5(2-3), pages 343-351, 04-05.
- Niko Gobbin & Bruno Merlevede, 2000. "The Russian Crisis: A Debt Perspective," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 141-163.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:opaper:0805. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (María Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de España)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.