Dealing with Debt: The 1930's and the 1980's
This paper summarizes and extends the conclusions of a series of papers on the interwar experience of sovereign borrowing, default and debt readjustment. In explaining the incidence and extent of default, we highlight the importance of a range of factors, both economic and political. We find evidence that countries that interrupted debt service recovered more quickly from the Depression; were able subsequently to render substantially reduced transfers to their creditors; and did not experience access to capital markets in the 1940s and 1950s that was any more restricted than that available to debtors who fully serviced their debts throughout. Attempts at global schemes to short cut protracted bilateral negotiations foundered on disagreements over the funding and control of such schemes, casting doubt on the prospects for such global plans in the 1990s.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1989|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in I. Husain and I. Diwan (eds.), Dealing With the Debt Crisis, pp. 69-86, The World Bank, Washington, D.C.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 43 13 63 00
Fax: 01 43 13 63 10
Web page: http://www.delta.ens.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eichengreen, Barry & Portes, Richard, 1988.
"Settling Defaults in the Era of Bond Finance,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt1x20r17d, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Portes, Richard, 1988. "Settling Defaults in the Era of Bond Finance," CEPR Discussion Papers 272, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barry Eichengreen and Richard Portes., 1988. "Settling Defaults in the Era of Bond Finance," Economics Working Papers 8885, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Portes, Richard, 1986.
"The Anatomy of Financial Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
130, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fishlow, Albert, 1985. "Lessons from the past: capital markets during the 19th century and the interwar period," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(03), pages 383-439, June.
- Sule Ozler, 1988. "Evolution of Commerical Bank Lending to Developing Countries," UCLA Economics Working Papers 497, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Stanley Fischer, 1987. "Resolving the International Debt Crisis," NBER Working Papers 2373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:del:abcdef:89-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.