Opinion-based surveys in the conjunctural analysis of the Spanish economy
Opinion-based surveys, or quantitative surveys, are potentially very powerful tools for conjunctural analysis in view of their rapid availability and nature. This paper addresses the usefulness of these surveys for monitoring the Spanish economy. To do this it analyses the two most important opinion-based surveys, namely the European Commission's Business and Consumer Survey and the NTC-Research Purchasing Managers’ Indices, and their relationship to the Quarterly National Accounts macroeconomic data and to the Spanish economy's key conjunctural indicators. The results show that opinion-based surveys are generally useful tools for the conjunctural analysis of the Spanish economy, although they should be used with caution. Their usefulness is apparent in all the areas analysed: as indicators of economic developments, as pointers to changes in the trend of the economy and as tools for predicting the economic situation.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bde.es/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lemmens, A. & Croux, C. & Dekimpe, M.G., 2005. "On the Predictive Content of Production Surveys : a Pan-European Study," Other publications TiSEM adab9f0e-7dfd-4dc4-bd92-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Hansson, Jesper & Jansson, Per & Lof, Marten, 2005. "Business survey data: Do they help in forecasting GDP growth?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 377-389.
- Bruno, Giancarlo & Lupi, Claudio, 2003.
"Forecasting Euro-Area Industrial Production Using (Mostly) Business Surveys Data,"
42332, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bruno Giancarlo & Lupi Claudio, 2003. "Forecasting Euro-Area Industrial Production Using (Mostly) Business Surveys Data," ISAE Working Papers 33, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- John A. Cotsomitis & Andy C. C. Kwan, 2006.
"Can Consumer Confidence Forecast Household Spending? Evidence from the European COmmission Business and Consumer Surveys,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 597-610, January.
- John A. Cotsomitis & Andy C. C. Kwan, 2004. "Can Consumer Confidence Forecast Household Spending? Evidence from the European Commission Business and Consumer Surveys," Departmental Working Papers _161, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Pilar Bengoechea & Gabriel Pérez-Quirós, 2004.
"A useful tool to identify recessions in the euro-area,"
0419, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Pilar Bengoechea & Gabriel Pérez Quirós, 2004. "A useful tool to identify recessions in the euro area," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 215, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Raquel Henriques dos Santos, 2003. "The Use of Qualitative Data for Short Term Analysis," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department, pages -.
- Lemmens, Aurelie & Croux, Christophe & Dekimpe, Marnik G., 2005. "On the predictive content of production surveys: A pan-European study," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 363-375.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2002.
"Dissecting the cycle: a methodological investigation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 365-381, March.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2000. "Disecting the Cycle: A Methodological Investigation," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1164, Econometric Society.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999.
"Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995. "Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "BKFILTER: RATS procedure to implement band pass filter using Baxter-King method," Statistical Software Components RTS00026, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Alain N. Kabundi, 2004. "Estimation of Economic Growth in France Using Business Survey Data," IMF Working Papers 04/69, International Monetary Fund.
- Maurizio Bovi, 2004. "Consumer Surveys and Reality," Macroeconomics 0408012, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:opaper:0706. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (María Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de España)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.