The Stability-Concentration Relationship in the Brazilian Banking System
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Chang, E.J. & Guerra, S.M. & Lima, E.J.A. & Tabak, B.M., 2008. "The stability-concentration relationship in the Brazilian banking system," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 388-397, October.
References listed on IDEAS
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1995.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-443.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," NBER Working Papers 4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrigo Cifuentes, 2004. "Banking Concentration: Implications for Systemic Risk and Safety-net Design," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,in: Luis Antonio Ahumada & J. Rodrigo Fuentes & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking Market Structure and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 7, chapter 13, pages 359-385 Central Bank of Chile.
- S. Mishkin, Frederic, 1999.
"Financial consolidation: Dangers and opportunities,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 675-691, February.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1999. "Financial Consolidation: Dangers and Opportunities," NBER Working Papers 6655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caminal, Ramon & Matutes, Carmen, 2002. "Market power and banking failures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1341-1361, November.
- Nobuo Inaba & Takashi Kozu & Toshitaka Sekine & Takashi Nagahata, 2005. "Non-performing loans and the real economy: Japan’s experience," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Investigating the relationship between the financial and real economy, volume 22, pages 106-27 Bank for International Settlements.
- Sandro Canesso de Andrade & Benjamin Miranda Tabak, 2001. "Is it Worth Tracking Dollar/Real Implied Volatility?," Working Papers Series 15, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2004. "Competition and Financial Stability," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 453-480, June.
- Calomiris,Charles W., 2006. "U.S. Bank Deregulation in Historical Perspective," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521028387.
- Koskela, Erkki & Stenbacka, Rune, 2000. "Is there a tradeoff between bank competition and financial fragility?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(12), pages 1853-1873, December.
- Leonard I. Nakamura, 1993. "Loan screening within and outside of customer relationships," Working Papers 93-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, June.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2006. "Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1581-1603, May.
- Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Alfredo Mario Leone & Mahinder Singh Gill & Owen Evens, 2000. "Macroprudential Indicators of Financial System Soundness," IMF Occasional Papers 192, International Monetary Fund.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999.
"The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Uribe, Martin & Yue, Vivian Z., 2006.
"Country spreads and emerging countries: Who drives whom?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 6-36, June.
- Martin Uribe & Vivian Z. Yue, 2004. "Country spreads and emerging countries: who drives whom?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Martin Uribe & Vivian Z. Yue, 2003. "Country Spreads and Emerging Countries: Who Drives Whom?," NBER Working Papers 10018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000.
"Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995. "Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Broecker, Thorsten, 1990. "Credit-Worthiness Tests and Interbank Competition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 429-452, March.
- Kevin C. Murdock & Thomas F. Hellmann & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2000. "Liberalization, Moral Hazard in Banking, and Prudential Regulation: Are Capital Requirements Enough?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 147-165, March.
- Pesola, Jarmo, 2005. "Banking fragility and distress : an econometric study of macroeconomic determinants," Research Discussion Papers 13/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Grossman, Richard S., 1994. "The Shoe That Didn't Drop: Explaining Banking Stability During the Great Depression," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 54(03), pages 654-682, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tabak, Benjamin M. & Fazio, Dimas M. & Cajueiro, Daniel O., 2011.
"The effects of loan portfolio concentration on Brazilian banks' return and risk,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 3065-3076, November.
- Benjamin M. Tabak & Dimas M. Fazio & Daniel O. Cajueiro, 2010. "The Effects of Loan Portfolio Concentration on Brazilian Banks' Return and Risk," Working Papers Series 215, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Miguel Ángel Morales Mosquera & Wilmar Cabrera & Laura Capera & Dairo Estrada, 2012. "Un Mapa de Riesgo de Crédito para el Sistema Financiero Colombiano," Temas de Estabilidad Financiera 068, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Leonardo S. Alencar, 2012.
"Revisiting Bank Pricing Policies in Brazil: Evidence from Loan and Deposit Markets,"
Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department, vol. 1(67), pages 35-71, December.
- Leonardo S. Alencar, 2011. "Revisiting Bank Pricing Policies in Brazil: evidence from loan and deposit markets," Working Papers Series 235, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Silva, Walmir & Kimura, Herbert & Sobreiro, Vinicius Amorim, 2017. "An analysis of the literature on systemic financial risk: A survey," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 91-114.
- Miguel Ángel Morales Mosquera, 2011.
"Concentración y estabilidad financiero: el caso del sistema bancario colombiano,"
Temas de Estabilidad Financiera
058, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Miguel Ángel Morales M., 2011. "Concentración y Estabilidad Financiera: el Caso del Sistema Bancario Colombiano," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 009250, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Benjamin Tabak & Daniel Cajueiro & Dimas Fazio, 2013.
"Financial fragility in a general equilibrium model: the Brazilian case,"
Annals of Finance,
Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 519-541, August.
- Benjamin M. Tabak & Daniel O. Cajueiro & Dimas M. Fazio, 2010. "Financial Fragility in a General Equilibrium Model: the Brazilian case," Working Papers Series 229, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Sergio Edwin Torrico Salamanca, 2014. "Macro credit scoring as a proposal for quantifying credit risk," Investigación & Desarrollo 0814, Universidad Privada Boliviana, revised Nov 2014.
- repec:eee:jebusi:v:96:y:2018:i:c:p:15-41 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sanjukta Sarkar & Rudra Sensarma, 2016.
"The relationship between competition and risk-taking behaviour of Indian banks,"
Journal of Financial Economic Policy,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(1), pages 95-119, April.
- Sarkar, Sanjukta & Sensarma, Rudra, 2016. "The Relationship between Competition and Risk Taking Behavior of Indian Banks," MPRA Paper 81065, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benjamin M. Tabak & Dimas M. Fazio & Daniel O. Cajueiro, 2011. "Profit, Cost and Scale Efficiency for Latin American Banks: Concentration-Performance Relationship," Working Papers Series 244, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- repec:sbe:breart:v:28:y:2008:i:2:a:1510 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chaiporn Vithessonthi, 2016. "The Consequences of Bank Loan Growth: Evidence from Asia," PIER Discussion Papers 19., Puey Ungphakorn Institute for Economic Research, revised Feb 2016.
- Bretschger, Lucas & Kappel, Vivien & Werner, Therese, 2012.
"Market concentration and the likelihood of financial crises,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3336-3345.
- Lucas Bretschger & Vivien Kappel, 2010. "Market concentration and the likelihood of financial crises," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 10/138, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Vithessonthi, Chaiporn, 2016. "Deflation, bank credit growth, and non-performing loans: Evidence from Japan," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 295-305.
- Tabak, Benjamin M. & Gomes, Guilherme M.R. & da Silva Medeiros, Maurício, 2015.
"The impact of market power at bank level in risk-taking: The Brazilian case,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 154-165.
- Benjamin Miranda Tabak & Guilherme Maia Rodrigues Gomes & Maurício da Silva Medeiros Júnior, 2012. "The Impact of Market Power at Bank Level in Risk-taking: the Brazilian case," Working Papers Series 283, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Wanke, Peter, 2014. "Banking efficiency in Brazil," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 54-65.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-12-01 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2007-12-01 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-REG-2007-12-01 (Regulation)
- NEP-RMG-2007-12-01 (Risk Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcb:wpaper:145. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo). General contact details of provider: http://www.bcb.gov.br/?english .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.