Structural Change and Forecasting Long-Run Energy Prices
The authors test the statistical significance of Pindyck’s (1999) suggested class of econometric equations that model the behaviour of long-run real energy prices. The models postulate meanreverting prices with continuous and random changes in their level and trend, and are estimated using Kalman filtering. In such contexts, test statistics are typically non-standard and depend on nuisance parameters. The authors use simulation-based procedures to address this issue; namely, a standard Monte Carlo test and a maximized Monte Carlo test. They find statistically significant instabilities for coal and natural gas prices, but not for crude oil prices. Out-of-sample forecasts are calculated to differentiate between significant models.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marwan Chacra, 2002. "Oil-Price Shocks and Retail Energy Prices in Canada," Working Papers 02-38, Bank of Canada.
- Saphores, Jean-Daniel & Khalaf, Lynda & Pelletier, Denis, 2000.
"On Jumps and ARCH Effects in Natural Resource Prices. An Application to Stumpage Prices from Pacific Northwest National Forests,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Saphores, Jean-Daniel & Khalaf, Lynda & Pelletier, Denis, 2000. "On Jumps and Arch Effects in Natural Resource Prices. An Application to Stumpage Prices from Pacific Northwest National Forests," Cahiers de recherche 0003, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Saphores, J.D. & Khalaf, L. & Pelletier, D., 2000. "On Jumps and ARCH Effects in Natural Resource Prices. An Application to Stumpage Prices from Pacific Northwest National Forests," Papers 00-03, Laval - Recherche en Energie.
- James D. Hamilton, 2000.
"What is an Oil Shock?,"
NBER Working Papers
7755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Tom Doan, . "TAR: RATS procedure to estimate a threshold autoregression, tests for threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00209, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's threshold estimation and testing results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00091, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991. "Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1998.
"The long-run evolution of energy prices,"
WP 4044-98., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & FARHAT, Abdeljelil & GARDIOL, Lucien, 1998.
"Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Normality Tests in Linear Regressions,"
Cahiers de recherche
9811, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jean-Marie Dufour & Abdeljelil Farhat & Lucien Gardiol & Lynda Khalaf, 1998. "Simulation-based finite sample normality tests in linear regressions," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 1(Conferenc), pages C154-C173.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 1997. "Some Impossibility Theorems in Econometrics with Applications to Structural and Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1365-1388, November.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 2000. "Inconsistency of the Bootstrap when a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Parameter Space," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 399-406, March.
- van Amano, Robert A & Norden, Simon, 1998.
"Exchange Rates and Oil Prices,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 683-94, November.
- Zellner Arnold, 2002. "My Experiences with Nonlinear Dynamic Models in Economics," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-18, July.
- Kim, Chang-Jin & Nelson, Charles R, 1989. "The Time-Varying-Parameter Model for Modeling Changing Conditional Variance: The Case of the Lucas Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(4), pages 433-40, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bca:bocawp:04-5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.