How cost-effective is a mixed policy targeting the management of three pollutants from N-fertilizers
This paper assesses the cost-effectiveness of a mixed policy in attempts to curb three nitrogen pollutants: NO3, N20 and NH3. The policy under study combines an N-tax on nitrogen input and incentives promoting perennial crops assumed to require low input. We show that opting for a perennial crop subsidy, in addition to an N-tax, significantly increases tax effectiveness in the case of N03. A quantitative analysis provides an assessment of impacts in terms of land-use, farmers' income and N losses throughout France and at the river-basin scale.
|Date of creation:||31 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 30 81 53 30
Fax: 01 30 81 53 68
Web page: http://www4.versailles-grignon.inra.fr/economie_publique_eng
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lacroix, Anne & Beaudoin, Nicolas & Makowski, David, 2005.
"Agricultural water nonpoint pollution control under uncertainty and climate variability,"
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 115-127, April.
- Anne Marie Lacroix & Nicolas Beaudoin & David Makowski, 2005. "Agricultural water nonpoint pollution control under uncertainty and climate variability," Working Papers 156821, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Balana, Bedru Babulo & Vinten, Andy & Slee, Bill, 2011. "A review on cost-effectiveness analysis of agri-environmental measures related to the EU WFD: Key issues, methods, and applications," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(6), pages 1021-1031, April.
- Aftab, Ashar & Hanley, Nick & Baiocchi, Giovanni, 2010.
"Integrated regulation of nonpoint pollution: Combining managerial controls and economic instruments under multiple environmental targets,"
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 24-33, November.
- Ashar Aftab & Giovanni Baiocchi & Nick Hanley, 2009. "Integrated Regulation of Nonpoint Pollution: Combining Managerial Controls and Economic Instruments under Multiple Environmental Targets," Working Papers 2009_03, Durham University Business School.
- Renan-Ulrich Goetz & Hansjörg Schmid & Bernard Lehmann, 2006. "Determining the economic gains from regulation at the extensive and intensive margins," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(1), pages 1-30, March.
- Lankoski, Jussi & Ollikainen, Markku, 2011. "Biofuel policies and the environment: Do climate benefits warrant increased production from biofuel feedstocks?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(4), pages 676-687, February.
- James Shortle & David Abler & Richard Horan, 1998. "Research Issues in Nonpoint Pollution Control," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(3), pages 571-585, April.
- Shortle, James S & Horan, Richard D, 2001. " The Economics of Nonprofit Pollution Control," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 255-89, July.
- Stéphane Cara & Martin Houzé & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2005.
"Methane and Nitrous Oxide Emissions from Agriculture in the EU: A Spatial Assessment of Sources and Abatement Costs,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 32(4), pages 551-583, December.
- Stephane De Cara & Martin HouzÃ© & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2005. "Methane and nitrous oxide emissions from agriculture in the EU : a spatial assessment of sources and abatement costs," Working Papers 156815, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Jussi Lankoski & Markku Ollikainen, 2008. "Bioenergy crop production and climate policies: a von Thunen model and the case of reed canary grass in Finland," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(4), pages 519-546, December.
- Ashar Aftab & Nick Hanley & Athanasios Kampas, 2007. "Co-ordinated environmental regulation: controlling non-point nitrate pollution while maintaining river flows," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 38(4), pages 573-593, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:apu:wpaper:2011/03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RÃ©gis Grateau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.