A Search Model in a Segmented Labour Market: the Odd Role of Unions
Assuming random matching productivity, we present a search equilibrium model where each match ends in a vacancy, in a temporary job or in a permanent job. Centralized bargaining sets the wage rate of permanent workers whereas rms decide unilaterally the wage rate of temporary workers. In this segmented labour market: a) the wage setting function can be downward sloping; b) higher union bargaining power leads to higher wage and higher unemployment; c) average worker productivity shows a maximum with respect to union bargaining power.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Doucouliagos & Patrice Laroche, 2007. "Unions and Profitability: A Meta-Analysis," Economics Series 2007_01, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2001.
"Temporary Jobs, Employment Protection and Labor Market Performance,"
IZA Discussion Papers
260, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cahuc, Pierre & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2002. "Temporary jobs, employment protection and labor market performance," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 63-91, February.
- Laroche, P., 2000. "What do Unions do to Productivity? A Meta-Analysis," Papers 2000-5, Groupe de recherche en économie financière et en gestion des entreprises, Universite Nancy 2.
- Matteo, PICCHIO, 2006. "Wage Differentials and Temporary Jobs in Italy," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006033, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2005.
"What Do Unions Do?-- The 2004 M-Brane Stringtwister Edition,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Transaction Publishers, vol. 26(4), pages 641-668, November.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2005. "What Do Unions Do?: The 2004 M-Brane Stringtwister Edition," NBER Working Papers 11410, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dolado Juan & Jansen Marcel & Jimeno Serrano Juan, 2007.
"A Positive Analysis of Targeted Employment Protection Legislation,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-30, July.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Jansen, Marcel & Jimeno, Juan F., 2007. "A Positive Analysis of Targeted Employment Protection Legislation," IZA Discussion Papers 2679, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ricardo Lagos, 2000. "An Alternative Approach to Search Frictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(5), pages 851-873, October.
- Casquel, Elena & Cunyat, Antoni, 2008. "Temporary contracts, employment protection and skill: A simple model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 333-336, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:349. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.