GINI DP 44: Immigration and Inequality in Europe
This paper aims at assessing the effect of immigration on native income inequality in Western Europe. I use different regional indicators of income inequality, which allow distinguishing between dispersion at the top and at the bottom of the income distribution, and correlate them to regional annual inflows of immigrants over the period 2004-2008. Results indicate that immigration is associated with a decrease of income inequality at the bottom of the distribution. However, IV estimates do not show any causal effect of immigration on income dispersion.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nieuwe Prinsengracht 130, 1018 VZ Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.uva-aias.net
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Card, 2009.
"Immigration and Inequality,"
CReAM Discussion Paper Series
0907, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Orrenius, Pia M. & Zavodny, Madeline, 2007.
"Does immigration affect wages? A look at occupation-level evidence,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 757-773, October.
- Pia M. Orrenius & Madeline Zavodny, 2003. "Does immigration affect wages? A look at occupation-level evidence," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2003-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Orrenius, Pia M. & Zavodny, Madeline, 2003. "Does immigration affect wages? A look at occupation-level evidence," Working Papers 0302, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Orrenius, Pia M. & Zavodny, Madeline, 2006. "Does Immigration Affect Wages? A Look at Occupation-Level Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 2481, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francesco D'Amuri & Giovanni Peri, 2011.
"Immigration, Jobs and Employment Protection: Evidence from Europe,"
NBER Working Papers
17139, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peri, Giovanni & D'Amuri, Francesco, 2010. "Immigration, Jobs and Employment Protection: Evidence from Europe," Institute of European Studies, Working Paper Series qt9rp2j8m1, Institute of European Studies, UC Berkeley.
- Barrett, Alan & FitzGerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2000.
"Earnings Inequality, Returns to Education and Immigration into Ireland,"
IZA Discussion Papers
167, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barrett, Alan & FitzGerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Earnings inequality, returns to education and immigration into Ireland," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 665-680, November.
- Barrett, Alan & Fitz Gerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2000. "Earnings Inequality, Returns to Education and Immigration into Ireland," CEPR Discussion Papers 2493, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 1994.
"Immigration and the Earnings of Young Native Workers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
936, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimuller, Josef, 1996. "Immigration and the Earnings of Young Native Workers," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(3), pages 473-91, July.
- Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, .
"Do Immigrants Displace Young Native Workers: The Austrian Experience,"
IEW - Working Papers
011, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweimüller, 1999. "Do immigrants displace young native workers: The Austrian experience," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 12(2), pages 327-340.
- Tommaso Frattini, 2012. "Immigrazione," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 3, pages 363-407, July-Sept.
- Gaston, Noel & Nelson, Douglas, 2000. "Immigration and Labour-Market Outcomes in the United States: A Political-Economy Puzzle," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 104-14, Autumn.
- George J. Borjas & Jeffrey Grogger & Gordon H. Hanson, 2008. "Imperfect Substitution between Immigrants and Natives: A Reappraisal," NBER Working Papers 13887, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aia:ginidp:44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiemer Salverda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.