GINI DP 44: Immigration and Inequality in Europe
This paper aims at assessing the effect of immigration on native income inequality in Western Europe. I use different regional indicators of income inequality, which allow distinguishing between dispersion at the top and at the bottom of the income distribution, and correlate them to regional annual inflows of immigrants over the period 2004-2008. Results indicate that immigration is associated with a decrease of income inequality at the bottom of the distribution. However, IV estimates do not show any causal effect of immigration on income dispersion.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nieuwe Prinsengracht 130, 1018 VZ Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.uva-aias.net
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peri, Giovanni & D'Amuri, Francesco, 2010.
"Immigration, Jobs and Employment Protection: Evidence from Europe,"
Institute of European Studies, Working Paper Series
qt9rp2j8m1, Institute of European Studies, UC Berkeley.
- Francesco D'Amuri & Giovanni Peri, 2011. "Immigration, Jobs and Employment Protection: Evidence from Europe," NBER Working Papers 17139, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gaston, Noel & Nelson, Douglas, 2000. "Immigration and Labour-Market Outcomes in the United States: A Political-Economy Puzzle," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 104-114, Autumn.
- David Card, 2009. "Immigration and Inequality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 1-21, May.
- David Card, 2009. "Immigration and Inequality," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0907, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- David Card, 2009. "Immigration and Inequality," NBER Working Papers 14683, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barrett, Alan & FitzGerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Earnings inequality, returns to education and immigration into Ireland," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 665-680, November.
- Barrett, Alan & Fitz Gerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2000. "Earnings Inequality, Returns to Education and Immigration into Ireland," CEPR Discussion Papers 2493, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barrett, Alan & FitzGerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2000. "Earnings Inequality, Returns to Education and Immigration into Ireland," IZA Discussion Papers 167, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Orrenius, Pia M. & Zavodny, Madeline, 2007. "Does immigration affect wages? A look at occupation-level evidence," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 757-773, October.
- Orrenius, Pia M. & Zavodny, Madeline, 2003. "Does immigration affect wages? A look at occupation-level evidence," Working Papers 0302, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Orrenius, Pia M. & Zavodny, Madeline, 2006. "Does Immigration Affect Wages? A Look at Occupation-Level Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 2481, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pia M. Orrenius & Madeline Zavodny, 2003. "Does immigration affect wages? A look at occupation-level evidence," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2003-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- George J. Borjas & Jeffrey Grogger & Gordon H. Hanson, 2008. "Imperfect Substitution between Immigrants and Natives: A Reappraisal," NBER Working Papers 13887, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweimüller, 1999. "Do immigrants displace young native workers: The Austrian experience," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 12(2), pages 327-340.
- Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, "undated". "Do Immigrants Displace Young Native Workers: The Austrian Experience," IEW - Working Papers 011, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimuller, Josef, 1996. "Immigration and the Earnings of Young Native Workers," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(3), pages 473-491, July.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 1994. "Immigration and the Earnings of Young Native Workers," CEPR Discussion Papers 936, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tommaso Frattini, 2012. "Immigrazione," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 3, pages 363-407, July-Sept. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aia:ginidp:44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiemer Salverda)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.