The Agricultural Knowledge Production Function: An Empirical Look
Economic analysis of the process of technical change has often involved macro-level studies of its causes and consequences. Relatively little attention has been given to the, more fundamental knowledge generation process itself. This stems in large part from the real difficulties of obtaining appropriate indicators of research output. The view that there exists a systematic relationship between research expenditures and knowledge increments has been taken up by numerous authors including Evenson (1968), Minasian (1969), Pakes (1978), Gri1iches (1979), and Kamien and Schwartz (1982). It follows naturally from the perception that, in general, science progresses by a sequence of marginal improvements rather than a series of discrete and essentially sporadic breakthroughs (see Burke [1978). Recent studies by Pakes and Gri1iches (1980), Hausman et a1. (1981), and Hall et a1. (1984) have sought direct estimates of the research input-output relationship for research performed by private firms in the non-agricultural sector. To date there appears to be no similar analysis of the public sector agricultural research process. The study reported here represents a first step in this direction. It develops some quantifiable indicators of agricultural knowledge production by the U.S. public sector research system and will also attempt to provide some clues as to the nature of the agricultural research spending-research output relationship.
|Date of creation:||1987|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.maes.umn.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Kamien,Morton I. & Schwartz,Nancy L., 1982. "Market Structure and Innovation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521293853, December.
- Pakes, Ariel & Griliches, Zvi, 1980. "Patents and R&D at the firm level: A first report," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 377-381.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Guttman, Joel M, 1978. "Interest Groups and the Demand for Agricultural Research," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(3), pages 467-84, June.
- Wright, Brian Davern, 1983. "The Economics of Invention Incentives: Patents, Prizes, and Research Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 691-707, September.
- Pakes, Ariel & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1983.
"Optimum Contracts for Research Personnel, Research Employment, and the Establishment of "Rival" Enterprises,"
3428538, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Pakes, Ariel & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1983. "Optimum Contracts for Research Personnel, Research Employment, and the Establishment of "Rival" Enterprises," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(4), pages 345-65, October.
- Ariel Pakes & Shmuel Nitzan, 1982. "Optimum Contracts for Research Personnel, Research Employment, and the Establishment of "Rival" Enterprises," NBER Working Papers 0871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fuller, Wayne A. & Battese, George E., 1974. "Estimation of linear models with crossed-error structure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 67-78, May.
- Pardey, Philip G., 1986. "Public sector production of agricultural knowledge," Faculty Theses and Dissertations 121800, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Hansen, W Lee & Weisbrod, Burton A & Strauss, Robert P, 1978. "Modeling the Earnings and Research Productivity of Academic Economists," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 729-41, August.
- Davis, Paul & Papanek, Gustav F, 1984. "Faculty Ratings of Major Economics Departments by Citations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(1), pages 225-30, March.
- McDowell, John M, 1982. "Obsolescence of Knowledge and Career Publication Profiles: Some Evidence of Differences among Fields in Costs of Interrupted Careers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(4), pages 752-68, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umae52:50022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.