The Agricultural Knowledge Production Function: An Empirical Look
The research input-output relationship is quantified by use of a unique panel data set of research expenditures (1963-75) and aggregate publication output (1970-75) for each of the 48 contiguous U.S. state agricultural experiment station. Year-to-year fluctuations in research expenditures showed little systematic influence on research output, while on-average or longer-run differences in research expenditures between states appear to influence research performance in a fairly systematic manner. Using citation performance to adjust publication output for differences in scientific quality increases the research expenditure output elasticity by around 25 percent, while also increasing the "mean" agricultural research gestation lag from 2.8 to 3.4 years. Residual state-specific effects, measuring relative research efficiencies, do not appear to be correlated with levels of research expenditures. Copyright 1989 by MIT Press.
Volume (Year): 71 (1989)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00346535|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ariel Pakes & Shmuel Nitzan, 1982.
"Optimum Contracts for Research Personnel, Research Employment, and the Establishment of "Rival" Enterprises,"
NBER Working Papers
0871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pakes, Ariel & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1983. "Optimum Contracts for Research Personnel, Research Employment, and the Establishment of "Rival" Enterprises," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(4), pages 345-65, October.
- Pakes, Ariel & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1983. "Optimum Contracts for Research Personnel, Research Employment, and the Establishment of "Rival" Enterprises," Scholarly Articles 3428538, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Wright, Brian Davern, 1983. "The Economics of Invention Incentives: Patents, Prizes, and Research Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 691-707, September.
- Davis, Paul & Papanek, Gustav F, 1984. "Faculty Ratings of Major Economics Departments by Citations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(1), pages 225-30, March.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Pardey, Philip G., 1986. "Public sector production of agricultural knowledge," Faculty Theses and Dissertations 121800, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Fuller, Wayne A. & Battese, George E., 1974. "Estimation of linear models with crossed-error structure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 67-78, May.
- Hansen, W Lee & Weisbrod, Burton A & Strauss, Robert P, 1978. "Modeling the Earnings and Research Productivity of Academic Economists," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 729-41, August.
- Guttman, Joel M, 1978. "Interest Groups and the Demand for Agricultural Research," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(3), pages 467-84, June.
- McDowell, John M, 1982. "Obsolescence of Knowledge and Career Publication Profiles: Some Evidence of Differences among Fields in Costs of Interrupted Careers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(4), pages 752-68, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:restat:v:71:y:1989:i:3:p:453-61. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Pollock-Nelson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.