Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal
Thoroughbred broodmares are the foundation of a successful racing operation. This study estimated the impact of breeding, racing, genetic, and market characteristics on broodmare auction prices. Data represent 298 broodmares in foal that were sold in Keeneland's 2005 sale. Prices were most responsive to the sire's stud fee and the broodmare's age, with pronounced day-of-sale effects. Overall valuation structure appeared similar to Neibergs' results using the 1996 data. Out-of-sample forecasts were far superior to naive forecasts, but were not accurate enough to use in isolation from other decision aids such as visual inspection of the horse.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 400 Agricultural Engineering Bldg., Lexington, KY 40546-0276|
Phone: (859) 257-5762
Fax: (859) 323-1913
Web page: http://www.uky.edu/Ag/AgEcon
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kristofersson, Dadi & Rickertsen, Kyrre, 2003.
"Efficient Estimation Of Hedonic Inverse Input Demand Systems,"
2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada
21926, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dadi Kristofersson & Kyrre Rickertsen, 2004. "Efficient Estimation of Hedonic Inverse Input Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1127-1137.
- Neibergs, J. Shannon & Thalheimer, Richard, 1997. "Price Expectations and Supply Response in the Thoroughbred Yearling Market," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 419-435, December.
- Ted C. Schroeder & John M. Jones & David A. Nichols, 1989.
"Analysis of Feeder Pig Auction Price Differentials,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 11(2), pages 253-263.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Jones, John M. & Nichols, David A., 1989. "Analysis of Feeder Pig Auction Price Differentials," Staff Papers 133738, Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Mark Robbins & Peter Kennedy, 2001. "Buyer behaviour in a regional thoroughbred yearling market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(8), pages 969-977.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Taylor, Mykel R. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Kastens, Terry L. & Douthit, Megan & Marsh, Thomas L., 2004. "Price Determinants Of Show Quality Quarter Horses," 2004 Annual Meeting, June 30-July 2, 2004, Honolulu, Hawaii 36199, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132-132.
- Steven Buccola & Yoko Iizuka, 1997. "Hedonic Cost Models and the Pricing of Milk Components," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 452-462.
- Neibergs, J. Shannon & Thalheimer, Richard, 1997. "Price Expectations And Supply Response In The Thoroughbred Yearling Market," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ukysps:37871. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.