What Are the Consequences of United States Government Slaughter Policies on Horse Prices?
As a result of several judicial rulings, the processing of horses for human consumption came to a halt in 2007. This article determines the impact horse prices suffered as a result of the elimination of horse processing facilities. A quantile regression approach is applied and is useful, as horses of varying quality were impacted differently. The authors acknowledge that the slaughter ban occurred alongside the U.S. economic downturn and attempts to account for the recession to adequately asses the policy effect.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neibergs, J. Shannon & Thalheimer, Richard, 1997. "Price Expectations And Supply Response In The Thoroughbred Yearling Market," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Joachim Zietz & Emily N. Zietz & G. Stacy Sirmans., 2007.
"Determinants of House Prices: A Quantile Regression Approach,"
200706, Middle Tennessee State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Joachim Zietz & Emily Zietz & G. Sirmans, 2008. "Determinants of House Prices: A Quantile Regression Approach," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 317-333, November.
- Stoeppel, Kelly M. & Maynard, Leigh J., 2006.
"Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal,"
37871, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Maynard, Leigh J. & Stoeppel, Kelly M., 2007. "Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 25(2).
- Stoeppel, Kelly M. & Maynard, Leigh J., 2006. "Hedonic Price Analysis of Thoroughbred Broodmares in Foal," Staff Papers 31983, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Lansford, Notie H., Jr. & Freeman, David W. & Topliff, Donald R. & Walker, Odell L., 1998. "Hedonic Pricing of Race-Bred Yearling Quarter Horses Produced by Quarter Horse Sires and Dams," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 16(2).
- Neibergs, J. Shannon & Thalheimer, Richard, 1997. "Price Expectations and Supply Response in the Thoroughbred Yearling Market," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 419-435, December.
- Joachim Zietz & Bobby Newsome, 2002. "Agency Representation and the Sale Price of Houses," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 24(2), pages 165-192.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Taylor, Mykel R. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Kastens, Terry L. & Douthit, Megan & Marsh, Thomas L., 2006. "Show Quality Quarter Horse Auctions: Price Determinants and Buy-Back Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Lange, Kelly Y. & Johnson, Jeffrey W. & Wilson, Kris & Johnson, Wesley, 2010. "Price Determinants of Ranch Horses Sold at Auction in Texas," 2010 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2010, Orlando, Florida 56491, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- J. Shannon Neibergs, 2001. "A hedonic price analysis of thoroughbred broodmare characteristics," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 299-314.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saea12:119766. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.