Agency Representation and the Sale Price of Houses
Multiple Listing Service data are employed to examine how the type of agency representation influences the sale price of a residential property. The results differ by property size. The type of agency representation is relevant only for some segments of the market, mainly smaller- to medium-sized properties. For a certain range of property sizes, buyers who engage a buyerâ€™s agent pay on average 2% less. However, an above average buyerâ€™s agent commission can more than cancel this price effect. Buyers that engage a buyerâ€™s agent that comes from the same firm as the listing agent never pay more for a house.
Volume (Year): 24 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zietz, Joachim, 2001. " Heteroskedasticity and Neglected Parameter Heterogeneity," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(2), pages 263-73, May.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Thursby, Jerry G., 1992. "A comparison of several exact and approximate tests for structural shift under heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 363-386.
- Pace, R Kelley & Barry, Ronald & Sirmans, C F, 1998.
"Spatial Statistics and Real Estate,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 5-13, July.
- Joachim Zietz & Bobby Newsome, 2001. "A Note on Buyer's Agent Commision and Sales Price," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 21(3), pages 245-254.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- G. Donald Jud & James Frew, 1986. "Real Estate Brokers, Housing Prices, and the Demand for Housing," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 23(1), pages 21-31, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:24:n:2:2002:p:165-192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.