A Note on Buyer's Agent Commision and Sales Price
The article examines whether and to what extent the level of a buyerâ€™s agent commission will affect the sale price of a house. The estimation results suggest that a higher commission rate leads to a higher sale price, although only for lower-priced houses. It is suggested that, at least for this market segment, there may be a principal-agent problem: buyerâ€™s agents do not act in the best interest of their clients because of the institutional structure of sales commissions.
Volume (Year): 21 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- G. Donald Jud, 1983. "Real Estate Brokers and the Market for Residential Housing," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 11(1), pages 69-82.
- Elder, Harold W & Zumpano, Leonard V & Baryla, Edward A, 1999. "Buyer Search Intensity and the Role of the Residential Real Estate Broker," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 351-68, May.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Hall, Alastair, 1987.
"The Information Matrix Test for the Linear Model,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 257-63, April.
- Hall, A.R., 1984. "The Information Matrix Test for the Linear Model," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 250, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:21:n:3:2001:p:245-254. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.