A Note on Buyer's Agent Commision and Sales Price
The article examines whether and to what extent the level of a buyerâ€™s agent commission will affect the sale price of a house. The estimation results suggest that a higher commission rate leads to a higher sale price, although only for lower-priced houses. It is suggested that, at least for this market segment, there may be a principal-agent problem: buyerâ€™s agents do not act in the best interest of their clients because of the institutional structure of sales commissions.
Volume (Year): 21 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elder, Harold W & Zumpano, Leonard V & Baryla, Edward A, 1999. "Buyer Search Intensity and the Role of the Residential Real Estate Broker," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 351-68, May.
- Hall, Alastair, 1987.
"The Information Matrix Test for the Linear Model,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 257-63, April.
- Hall, A.R., 1984. "The Information Matrix Test for the Linear Model," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 250, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- G. Donald Jud, 1983. "Real Estate Brokers and the Market for Residential Housing," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 11(1), pages 69-82.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:21:n:3:2001:p:245-254. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.