On the inconsistency of the Breusch-Pagan test
The Breusch-Pagan Lagrange Multiplier test for heteroskedascity is supposedly able to detect heteroskedasticity which is an arbitrary function of some set of regressors. We will show that in fact it detects only linear functions. The test is inconsistent for general alternatives, in the sense that its power does not go to 1 as the sample size increases (and in fact, can be arbitrarily low). Since in fact the Breusch-Pagan test is essentially an F test in a special model, we also give necessary and suﬃcient conditions for the consistency of the F test under misspeciﬁcation.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Economic and Social Research 2.1(2000): pp. 1-11|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chesher, Andrew D, 1984. "Testing for Neglected Heterogeneity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 865-72, July.
- Koenker, Roger, 1981. "A note on studentizing a test for heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 107-112, September.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Jayasri Dutta & Asad Zaman, 1989. "What Do tests for Heteroskedasticity Detect?," Discussion Paper Serie A 248, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9904. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.