An Antitrust Economic Analysis of Stop & Shop's Proposed Acquisition of the Big V Shop Rite Supermarket Chain
In early 2002, the Royal Ahold subsidiary, Stop & Shop Supermarkets, offered to purchase the Big V supermarket chain, which was in bankruptcy court after three successive, unsuccessful leveraged buyouts over the past ten years. At a later date, Pathmark Supermarkets joined the offer to purchase. Big V was Wakefern Food Corporations largest member. The acquisition was a horizontal merger in at least three local markets, Newburgh NJ, Poughkeepsie NY, and Trenton NJ. This research was conducted for the Wakefern Food Corporation who provided much of the underlying data and information. We presented this report to the Bureau of Competition, Federal Trade Commission in March 2002 and to the New Jersey and New York Attorney Generals, Antitrust Section in April 2002. Thereafter, the Federal Trade Commission issued a second request in its merger review, and the bankruptcy judge ruled against the Stop & Shop/Pathmark offer. Big V subsequently was purchased by Wakefern and remains in the Shop Rite supermarket cooperative system.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1376 Storrs Road, Unit 4021, Storrs, CT 06269-4021|
Phone: (860) 486-2836
Fax: (860) 486-1932
Web page: http://www.fmpc.uconn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William P. Putsis Jr. & Ronald W. Cotterill & Ravi Dhar, 1999.
"Assessing the Competitive Interaction between Private Labels and National Brands,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm131, Yale School of Management.
- Cotterill, Ronald W & Putsis, William P, Jr & Dhar, Ravi, 2000. "Assessing the Competitive Interaction between Private Labels and National Brands," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(1), pages 109-37, January.
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Putsis, William P., Jr. & Dhar, Ravi, 1999. "Assessing the Competitive Interaction Between Private Labels and National Brands," Research Reports 25177, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Ronald W. Cotterill & William P. Putsis Jr. & Ravi Dhar, 1999. "Assessing the Competitive Interaction Between Private Labels and National Brands," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 044, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Salop, Steven C & Scheffman, David T, 1983. "Raising Rivals' Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 267-71, May.
- Chih-ching Yu & John M. Connor, 2002. "The price-concentration relationship in grocery retailing: Retesting Newmark," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 413-426.
- Chevalier, Judith A, 1995. " Do LBO Supermarkets Charge More? An Empirical Analysis of the Effects of LBOs on Supermarket Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1095-1112, September.
- Newmark, Craig M., 1990. "A new test of the price-concentration relationship in grocery retailing," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 369-373, August.
- Cotterill, Ronald W & Haller, Lawrence E, 1992. "Barrier and Queue Effects: A Study of Leading U.S. Supermarket Chain Entry Patterns," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 427-40, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uconnr:25194. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.