Labor Cost and Technology Adoption: Real Options Approach for the Case of Sugarcane Mechanization in Florida
Specialty crop farmers have expressed concern about labor shortages and cost increases which may arise with immigration reform. The large-scale mechanization of the Florida sugarcane harvest during the 1970s/80s serves as an historical example of how technologies evolved due to changes in local labor market conditions.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Napasintuwong, Orachos & Emerson, Robert D., 2004.
"Labor Substitutability In Labor Intensive Agriculture And Technological Change In The Presence Of Foreign Labor,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20048, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Napasintuwong, Orachos & Emerson, Robert D., 2005. "Labor Substitutability in Labor Intensive Agriculture and Technological Change in the Presence of Foreign Labor," Working Papers 15649, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Janis M. Carey & David Zilberman, 2002. "A Model of Investment under Uncertainty: Modern Irrigation Technology and Emerging Markets in Water," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 171-183.
- Ise, Sabrina & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1993.
"Legal status and earnings of agricultural workers,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt478250zg, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- J. Edward Taylor, 1992. "Earnings and Mobility of Legal and Illegal Immigrant Workers in Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(4), pages 889-896.
- Iwai, Nobuyuki & Emerson, Robert D. & Walters, Lurleen M., 2006. "Legal Status and U.S. Farm Wages," 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida 35335, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Emerson, Robert D., 2007. "Agricultural Labor Markets and Immigration," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 22(1).
- repec:cdl:agrebk:677103 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saeaed:6758. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.