The Economics of Organic Versus Conventional Cow-calf Production
Costs, returns, and profitability of cow-calf farms that are organic or transitioning to organic are compared with those of cow-calf farms that are non-organic. A method of matching samples is used for the comparison. Results suggest higher cost of organic production due to higher unpaid labor, taxes and insurance, and overhead costs.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido W. Imbens, 2004.
"Nonparametric Estimation of Average Treatment Effects Under Exogeneity: A Review,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 4-29, February.
- Guido W. Imbens, 2003. "Nonparametric Estimation of Average Treatment Effects under Exogeneity: A Review," NBER Technical Working Papers 0294, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Abadie & David Drukker & Jane Leber Herr & Guido W. Imbens, 2004. "Implementing matching estimators for average treatment effects in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(3), pages 290-311, September.
- Tauer, Loren W., 2008.
"Estimation of Treatment Effects of recombinant Bovine Somatotropin using Matching Samples,"
51118, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Loren W. Tauer, 2009. "Estimation of Treatment Effects of Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin Using Matching Samples," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 31(3), pages 411-423, 09.
- McBride, William D. & Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr., 2011. "The Diverse Structure and Organization of U.S. Beef Cow-Calf Farms," Economic Information Bulletin 102764, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Hiroki, Uematsu & Mishra, Ashok K., 2011. "Are Organic Farmers Really Better Off Than Conventional Farmers?," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103862, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- William D. McBride & Catherine Greene, 2009. "Costs of Organic Milk Production on U.S. Dairy Farms," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 31(4), pages 793-813, December.
- McBride, William D. & Greene, Catherine R., 2008. "The Profitability of Organic Soybean Production," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6449, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Boucher, Robert W. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M., 2001. "Projected Costs And Returns For Beef Cattle, Dairy, Broiler And Forage Crop Production In Louisiana, 2001," AEA Information Series 31666, Louisiana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saea12:119773. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.