The Marketing Performance of Illinois and Kansas Wheat Farmers
The purpose of this paper is to investigate the marketing performance of wheat farmers in Illinois and Kansas over 1982-2004. The results show that farmer benchmark prices for wheat in Illinois and Kansas fall in the middle-third of the price range about half to three-quarters of the time. Consistent with previous studies, this refutes the contention that Illinois and Kansas wheat farmers routinely market the bulk of their wheat crop in the bottom portion of the price range. Tests of the average difference between farmer and market benchmark prices are sensitive to the market benchmark considered. Marketing performance of wheat farmers in Illinois and Kansas is about equal to the market if 24- or 20-month market benchmarks are used, is slightly above the market if a 12-month price benchmark is used, and is significantly less than the market if the harvest benchmark is used. The sensitivity of marketing performance to the market benchmark considered is explained by the seasonal pattern of prices. While Illinois producers performed slightly better than their counterparts in Kansas, notable differences in performance across these two geographic areas is not observed.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 326 Mumford Hall, MC-710, 1301 West Gregory Drive, Urbana, Illinois, 61801|
Phone: (217) 333-1810
Fax: (217) 333-5538
Web page: http://www.farmdoc.uiuc.edu/nccc134/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim B. Anderson & B. Wade Brorsen, 2005. "Marketing Performance of Oklahoma Farmers," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1265-1270.
- Martines-Filho, Joao Gomes & Good, Darrel L. & Irwin, Scott H., 2001. "1999 Pricing Performance Of Market Advisory Servives For Wheat," AgMAS Project Research Reports 14788, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Irwin, Scott H. & Martines-Filho, Joao Gomes & Good, Darrel L., 2003.
"The Performance Of Agricultural Market Advisory Services In Corn And Soybeans,"
2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada
22256, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Joao Martines-Filho, 2006. "The Performance of Agricultural Market Advisory Services in Corn and Soybeans," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 162-181.
- Allen, P. Geoffrey, 1994. "Economic forecasting in agriculture," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 81-135, June.
- Jirik, Mark A. & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L. & Jackson, Thomas E. & Jirik, Mark A. & Martines-Filho, Joao Gomes, 2000. "The 1995 Through 1998 Pricing Performance Of Market Advisory Services For Wheat," AgMAS Project Research Reports 14777, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Lewis A. Hagedorn & Scott H. Irwin & Darrel L. Good & Evelyn V. Colino, 2005. "Does the Performance of Illinois Corn and Soybean Farmers Lag the Market?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1271-1279.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nccest:37622. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.