Africa’s Evolving Employment Structure
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Deon Filmer & Louise Fox, 2014.
"Youth Employment in Sub-Saharan Africa
[L’emploi des jeunes en Afrique subsaharienne - Rapport complet]," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 16608, 05-2018.
- Rafael La Porta & Andrei Shleifer, 2014.
"Informality and Development,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 28(3), pages 109-126, Summer.
- Rafael LaPorta & Andrei Shleifer, "undated". "Informality and Development," Working Paper 171301, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Andrei Shleifer, 2014. "Informality and Development," NBER Working Papers 20205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- LaPorta, Rafael & Shleifer, Andrei, 2014. "Informality and Development," Scholarly Articles 12343780, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Demery, Lionel & Kuhl, Jesper, 2011.
"The (evolving) role of agriculture in poverty reduction--An empirical perspective,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 239-254, November.
- Christiaensen,Luc & Demery,Lionel & Kuhl, Jesper, 2010. "The (Evolving) Role of Agriculture in Poverty Reduction: An Empirical Perspective," WIDER Working Paper Series 036, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Sam Jones & John Page & Abebe Shimeles & Finn Tarp & John Page & Abebe Shimeles, 2015. "Aid, Employment and Poverty Reduction in Africa," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 27(S1), pages 17-30, October.
- Nicholas Sitko & Jordan Chamberlin, 2015. "The Anatomy of Medium-Scale Farm Growth in Zambia: What Are the Implications for the Future of Smallholder Agriculture?," Land, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 4(3), pages 1-19, September.
- McCullough, Ellen B., 2017.
"Labor productivity and employment gaps in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 133-152.
- McCullough,Ellen B., 2015. "Labor productivity and employment gaps in Sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7234, The World Bank.
- Margarida Duarte & Diego Restuccia, 2010.
"The Role of the Structural Transformation in Aggregate Productivity,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 125(1), pages 129-173.
- Margarida Duarte & Diego Restuccia, 2006. "The Role of the Structural Transformation in Aggregate Productivity," 2006 Meeting Papers 415, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Margarida Duarte & Diego Restuccia, 2009. "The Role of the Structural Transformation in Aggregate Productivity," Working Papers tecipa-348, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Margarida Duarte & Diego Restuccia, 2007. "The Role of the Structural Transformation in Aggregate Productivity," Working Papers tecipa-300, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Sitko, Nicholas J. & Chamberlin, Jordan & Hichaambwa, Munguzwe, 2014. "Does Smallholder Land Titling Facilitate Agricultural Growth?: An Analysis of the Determinants and Effects of Smallholder Land Titling in Zambia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 791-802.
- McMillan, Margaret & Rodrik, Dani & Verduzco-Gallo, Íñigo, 2014. "Globalization, Structural Change, and Productivity Growth, with an Update on Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 11-32.
- Dietrich Vollrath, 2007. "Land Distribution and International Agricultural Productivity," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(1), pages 202-216.
- Songqing Jin & T. S. Jayne, 2013. "Land Rental Markets in Kenya: Implications for Efficiency, Equity, Household Income, and Poverty," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 89(2), pages 246-271.
- Deininger, Klaus & Byerlee, Derek, 2012.
"The Rise of Large Farms in Land Abundant Countries: Do They Have a Future?,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 701-714.
- Deininger, Klaus & Byerlee, Derek, 2011. "The rise of large farms in land abundant countries : do they have a future ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5588, The World Bank.
- Klaus Deininger, 2003. "Land Policies for Growth and Poverty Reduction," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15125, 05-2018.
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- Chamberlin, Jordan & Jayne, T.S. & Headey, D., 2014. "Scarcity amidst abundance? Reassessing the potential for cropland expansion in Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 51-65.
- Louise Fox & Alun Thomas, 2016. "Africa's Got Work To Do: A Diagnostic of Youth Employment Challenges in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 25(suppl_1), pages 16-36.
- Mellor, John W., 2014. "High rural population density Africa – What are the growth requirements and who participates?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 66-75.
- Jayne, Thomas S. & Muyanga, Milu, 2012. "Land Constraints in Kenya’s Densely Populated Rural Areas: Implications for Food Policy and Institutional Reform," 86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 134723, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Christopher B. Barrett & Michael R. Carter & C. Peter Timmer, 2010. "A Century-Long Perspective on Agricultural Development," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(2), pages 447-468.
- Dr Deborah Potts, 2012. "Whatever Happened to Africaâ€™s Rapid Urbanisation?," World Economics, World Economics, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 13(2), pages 17-30, April.
- Louise Fox & Cleary Haines & Jorge Huerta Munoz & Alun H. Thomas, 2013. "Africa's Got Work to Do; Employment Prospects in the New Century," IMF Working Papers 13/201, International Monetary Fund.
- Jordan Chamberlin & Jacob Ricker-Gilbert, 2016. "Participation in Rural Land Rental Markets in Sub-Saharan Africa: Who Benefits and by How Much? Evidence from Malawi and Zambia," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1507-1528.
- Diao, Xinshen & Kennedy, Adam & Badiane, Ousmane & Cossar, Frances & Dorosh, Paul & Ecker, Olivier & Hagos, Hosaena Ghebru & Headey, Derek & Mabiso, Athur & Makombe, Tsitsi & Malek, Mehrab & Schmidt, , 2013. "Evidence on key policies for African agricultural growth:," IFPRI discussion papers 1242, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Philippe Bocquier, 2005. "World Urbanization Prospects," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 12(9), pages 197-236, May.
- Gaaitzen de Vries & Marcel Timmer & Klaas de Vries, 2015.
"Structural Transformation in Africa: Static Gains, Dynamic Losses,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(6), pages 674-688, June.
- Vries, Klaas de & Timmer, Marcel P. & Vries, Gaaitzen J. de, 2013. "Structural transformation in Africa: Static gains, dynamic losses," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-136, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Otsuka, Keijiro & Place, Frank, 2014. "Changes in land tenure and agricultural intensification in sub-Saharan Africa," WIDER Working Paper Series 051, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ravallion, Martin & Datt, Gaurav, 2002. "Why has economic growth been more pro-poor in some states of India than others?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 381-400, August.
- Bezu, Sosina & Holden, Stein, 2014. "Are Rural Youth in Ethiopia Abandoning Agriculture?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 259-272.
- Ousmane Badiane & John Ulimwengu & Thaddee Badibanga, 2012. "Structural Transformation among African Economies: Patterns and performance," Development, Palgrave Macmillan;Society for International Deveopment, vol. 55(4), pages 463-476, December.
- James Sackey & Saweda Liverpool-Tasie & Sheu Salau & Taiwo Awoyemi, 2012. "Rural-Urban Transformation in Nigeria," Journal of African Development, African Finance and Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 131-168.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Adesugba, Margaret Abiodun & Mavrotas, George, 2016. "Youth employment, agricultural transformation, and rural labor dynamics in Nigeria," IFPRI discussion papers 1579, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
More about this item
KeywordsInternational Development; Labor and Human Capital; Productivity Analysis;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midiwp:246956. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/damsuus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.