Agriculture And Related Sectors In The Cilss Countries: Past Performance And Strategic Choices For The Future
The document identified five priority areas on which to focus future development plans and projects: 1) human resource development; 2)institutional capacity building; 3) rapid and sustainable development of agricultural production; 4) economic growth and diversification; 5) greater regional integration and ties to the world economy. Recognizing that several of these priorities reached beyond its mandate, CILSS recommended that other more qualified regional organizations (ECOWAS, UEMOA) assume their responsibilities in pursuing these objectives. This paper analyzes the past performance, potential for and challenges facing the agricultural sector in the Sahel, focusing on the factors critical to increasing household income and improving food security in the Sahel. It is divided in four parts.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039|
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diarra, Salifou Bakary & Staatz, John M. & Bingen, R. James & Dembele, Niama Nango, 1999. "The Reform Of Rice Milling And Marketing In The Office Du Niger: Catalyst For An Agricultural Success Story In Mali," Staff Papers 11729, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Dembele, Niama Nango & Staatz, John M., 1999. "The Impact Of Market Reform On Agricultural Transformation In Mali," Staff Papers 11717, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- ., 1998. "Growth," Chapters, in: The Elgar Companion to Classical Economics, chapter 67 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Kelly, Valerie A., 2000. "Sahelian Input Markets: Recent Progress And Remaining Challenges," Staff Papers 11510, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Badiane, Ousmane & Kinteh, Sambouh, 1994. "Trade pessimism and regionalism in African countries: the case of groundnut exporters," Research reports 97, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midasp:11547. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.