Cotton in Zambia: An Assessment of its Organization, Performance, Current Policy Initiatives, and Challenges for the Future
This paper grows out of earlier work on cotton by the Food Security Research Project. It is directed towards policy makers and private stakeholders in Zambia’s cotton sector, and has four main purposes: (a) To provide a detailed descriptive overview of the organization of the sector and of the behavior of key public and private participants in the sector; (b) To assess cotton’s role in smallholder livelihood strategies, and its competitiveness at the farm level with a key alternative crop–maize; (c) To critically evaluate recent policy initiatives in the sector and suggest key modifications that might be needed; and (d) To identify the primary challenges that the sector faces to ensure its future competitiveness in regional and international markets.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039|
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nijhoff, Jan J. & Tembo, Gelson & Shaffer, James D. & Jayne, Thomas S. & Shawa, Julius J., 2003. "How Will the Proposed Crop Marketing Authority Affect Food Market Performance in Zambia? An ex Ante Assessment to Inform Government Deliberation," Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs 54611, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Poulton, Colin & Gibbon, Peter & Hanyani-Mlambo, Benjamine & Kydd, Jonathan & Maro, Wilbald & Larsen, Marianne Nylandsted & Osorio, Afonso & Tschirley, David & Zulu, Ballard, 2004. "Competition and Coordination in Liberalized African Cotton Market Systems," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 519-536, March.
- Kelly, Valerie A., 2000. "Sahelian Input Markets: Recent Progress And Remaining Challenges," Staff Papers 11510, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Tschirley, David L. & Zulu, Ballard, 2003. "Zambian Cotton in a Regional Context: Performance under Liberalization and Future Challenges," Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs 54610, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Tschirley, David L. & Weber, Michael T., 1994. "Food security strategies under extremely adverse conditions: The determinants of household income and consumption in rural Mozambique," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 159-173, February.
- Haggblade, Steven & Tembo, Gelson, 2003. "Conservation farming in Zambia:," EPTD discussion papers 108, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).