Welfare Effects of Agricultural Technology adoption: the case of improved groundnut varieties in rural Malawi
This paper applies a program evaluation technique to assess the causal effect of the adoption of improved groundnut technologies on consumption expenditure and poverty measured by headcount, poverty gap and poverty severity indices. The paper is based on a cross-sectional farm household level data collected in 2008 from a sample of 594 households in rural Malawi. A sensitivity analysis is conducted to test the robustness of the propensity score based results using the rbounds test and the mean absolute standardized bias (MASB) between adopters and non-adopters. The analysis reveals robust and positive and significant impacts of improved groundnut variety adoption on per capita consumption expenditure and on poverty reduction. The findings generally provide justification for continued public and private investment in groundnut research and outreach in Malawi.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Mosley & Sanzidur Rahman, 1999. "Impact of technological change on income distribution and poverty in Bangladesh agriculture: an empirical analysis," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(7), pages 935-955.
- Ichino, Andrea & Mealli, Fabrizia & Nannicini, Tommaso, 2006.
"From Temporary Help Jobs to Permanent Employment: What Can We Learn from Matching Estimators and their Sensitivity?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2149, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrea Ichino & Fabrizia Mealli & Tommaso Nannicini, 2008. "From temporary help jobs to permanent employment: what can we learn from matching estimators and their sensitivity?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(3), pages 305-327.
- Ichino, Andrea & Mealli, Fabrizia & Nannicini, Tommaso, 2006. "From Temporary Help Jobs to Permanent Employment: What Can We Learn from Matching Estimators and their Sensitivity?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5736, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joshua Angrist & Alan Krueger, 2001.
"Instrumental Variables and the Search for Identification: From Supply and Demand to Natural Experiments,"
834, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Joshua D. Angrist & Alan B. Krueger, 2001. "Instrumental Variables and the Search for Identification: From Supply and Demand to Natural Experiments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 69-85, Fall.
- Joshua Angrist & Alan B. Krueger, 2001. "Instrumental Variables and the Search for Identification: From Supply and Demand to Natural Experiments," NBER Working Papers 8456, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diop, Ndiame & Beghin, John C. & Sewadah, Mirvat, 2005.
"Groundnut Policies, Global Trade Dynamics, and the Impact of Trade Liberalization,"
Staff General Research Papers
12231, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Diop, Ndiame & Beghin, John & Sewadeh, Mirvat, 2004. "Groundnut policies, global trade dynamics, and the impact of trade liberalization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3226, The World Bank.
- Kassie, Menale & Shiferaw, Bekele & Muricho, Geoffrey, 2011. "Agricultural Technology, Crop Income, and Poverty Alleviation in Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1784-1795.
- Yoko Kijima & Keijiro Otsuka & Dick Sserunkuuma, 2008. "Assessing the impact of NERICA on income and poverty in central and western Uganda," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 38(3), pages 327-337, 05.
- Mendola, Mariapia, 2007. "Agricultural technology adoption and poverty reduction: A propensity-score matching analysis for rural Bangladesh," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 372-393, June.
- Becerril, Javier & Abdulai, Awudu, 2010. "The Impact of Improved Maize Varieties on Poverty in Mexico: A Propensity Score-Matching Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 1024-1035, July.
- Otsuka, Keijiro, 2000. "Role of agricultural research in poverty reduction: lessons from the Asian experience," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 447-462, August.
- Mahabub HOSSAIN & Manik L. BOSE & Bazlul A. A. MUSTAFI, 2006. "Adoption And Productivity Impact Of Modern Rice Varieties In Bangladesh," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 44(2), pages 149-166.
- Akhter Ali & Awudu Abdulai, 2010. "The Adoption of Genetically Modified Cotton and Poverty Reduction in Pakistan," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 175-192.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae12:126761. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.