Demographic Variability In U.S. Consumer Responsiveness To Carbonated Soft-Drink Marketing Practices
Using three years of Nielson Homescan and advertising data from 16 major metropolitan areas across the U.S. to construct a panel data set that follows weekly consumer purchasing behavior, this paper investigates the impact of marketing activities on a representative cross-section of U.S. consumers. Because many consumers do not participate in the market week-in and week-out, I apply Heckman’s econometric selection model to recover the impact of pricing, advertising, and promotion on a wide range of consumer segments. Reduced-form estimates of consumer responsiveness to these marketing activities reveal different effects across consumer segments, which have numerous implications for marketing policy.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Postal:555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M. & Tegene, Abebayehu, 2004.
"Obesity and Nutrient Consumption: A Rational Addiction?,"
28539, Arizona State University, Morrison School of Agribusiness and Resource Management.
- Timothy J. Richards & Paul M. Patterson & Abebayehu Tegene, 2007. "Obesity And Nutrient Consumption: A Rational Addiction?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(3), pages 309-324, 07.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M. & Tegene, Abebayehu, 2004. "Obesity And Nutrient Consumption: A Rational Addiction?," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20079, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Emek Basker, 2005.
"Job Creation or Destruction? Labor Market Effects of Wal-Mart Expansion,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 174-183, February.
- Emek Basker, 2003. "Job Creation or Destruction? Labor-Market Effects of Wal-Mart Expansion," Labor and Demography 0303002, EconWPA, revised 11 Mar 2005.
- Emek Basker, 2002. "Job Creation or Destruction? Labor-Market Effects of Wal-Mart Expansion," Working Papers 0215, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised Jan 2004.
- Gordon Dahl & Stefano DellaVigna, 2007.
"Does Movie Violence Increase Violent Crime?,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
122247000000001778, David K. Levine.
- Liran Einav & Ephraim Leibtag & Aviv Nevo, 2008.
"Not-so-Classical Measurement Errors: A Validation Study of Homescan,"
NBER Working Papers
14436, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liran Einav & Ephraim Leibtag & Aviv Nevoy, 2008. "Not-So-Classical Measurement Errors: A Validation Study of Homescan," Discussion Papers 08-007, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Stefano DellaVigna & Matthew Gentzkow, 2010.
"Persuasion: Empirical Evidence,"
Annual Review of Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 2(1), pages 643-669, 09.
- Just, David R. & Mancino, Lisa & Wansink, Brian, 2007. "Could Behavioral Economics Help Improve Diet Quality for Nutrition Assistance Program Participants?," Economic Research Report 6391, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Kirthi Kalyanam & Daniel S. Putler, 1997. "Incorporating Demographic Variables in Brand Choice Models: An Indivisible Alternatives Framework," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(2), pages 166-181.
- James, Binkley & Golub, Alla A., 2007. "Comparison of Grocery Purchase Patterns of Diet Soda Buyers to Those of Regular Soda Buyers," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9963, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Matthew Gentzkow & Jesse M. Shapiro, 2008. "Preschool Television Viewing and Adolescent Test Scores: Historical Evidence from the Coleman Study," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 123(1), pages 279-323.
- Jeongwen Chiang, 1991. "A Simultaneous Approach to the Whether, What and How Much to Buy Questions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 297-315.
- Wolfgang Pesendorfer, 2006. "Behavioral Economics Comes of Age: A Review Essay on Advances in Behavioral Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 44(3), pages 712-721, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa115:116419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.