WTO Doha Round: Impact of an Agreement on Agriculture and the Importance of Sensitive Products
The Doha round of WTO negotiations has been ongoing since 2001. In the summer of 2008 the negotiations on the modalities for a new WTO agriculture agreement collapsed when seemingly on the verge of a successful conclusion. In this paper we present quantitative analysis of the impact of a new WTO agreement undertaken using a partial equilibrium model of Irish and EU agriculture. Results are presented on the agreement’s impact on Irish and EU-27 agriculture markets and on Irish agricultural sector incomes. Our analysis highlights the importance of the Baseline counter-factual, and will illustrate that protection afforded by the conferral of sensitive product status differs from commodity to commodity. The paper will draw conclusions concerning the economic impact of an agreement on Irish agriculture and Ireland’s likely future perspective on the conclusion of the Doha Round.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aes.ac.uk/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Binfield, Julian C.R. & Donnellan, Trevor & Hanrahan, Kevin F. & Hart, Chad E. & Westhoff, Patrick C., 2004. "CAP Reform and the WTO: Potential Impacts on EU Agriculture," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20020, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Tangermann, Stefan, 2000.
"Tariff Rate Quotas In The Eu,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(1), April.
- Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Tangermann, Stefan, 2000. "Tariff Rate Quotas in The EU," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(01), pages 70-80, April.
- Zohra Bouamra-Mechemache & Roel Jongeneel & Vincent Réquillart, 2008. "Impact of a gradual increase in milk quotas on the EU dairy sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(4), pages 461-491, December.
- Philip C. Abbott, 2002. "Tariff-rate quotas: failed market access instruments?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 109-130, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aesc09:50936. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.