Evidence of Scope Economies in the Australian Wheat-Sheep Zone
Scope economies can be used in studies of farming systems to provide a measure of synergies between different farm enterprises and between activities within farm enterprises. In this paper, they are reported for farms in a benchmarking group in the Wheat-Sheep Zone in New South Wales, Australia, by estimating a stochastic input distance function and calculating an ‘economies of scope parameter’. Evidence is presented of scope economies between sheep and beef enterprises, sheep and crop enterprises, and beef and crop enterprises.
|Date of creation:||30 Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aes.ac.uk|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coelli, Tim J. & Fleming, Euan M., 2003.
"Diversification Economies And Specialisation Efficiencies In A Mixed Food And Coffee Smallholder Farming System In Papua New Guinea,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25841, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Coelli, Tim & Fleming, Euan, 2004. "Diversification economies and specialisation efficiencies in a mixed food and coffee smallholder farming system in Papua New Guinea," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 229-239, December.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Kwansoo Kim, 2007. "Measurement and Sources of Economies of Scope: A Primal Approach," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 163(3), pages 411-427, September.
- Grosskopf, Shawna & Hayes, Kathy & Yaisawarng, Suthathip, 1992. "Measuring Economies of Diversification: A Frontier Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(4), pages 453-59, October.
- Deller, Steven C & Chicoine, David L & Walzer, Norman, 1988. "Economies of Size and Scope in Rural Low-Volume Roads," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 459-65, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aes008:36849. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.