Investigating the effects of sample heterogeneity on the travel cost model for coral diving in Southeast Asia
In mid-2010, an impact assessment was undertaken to ascertain the non-market value of coral reefs to scuba divers in Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. A travel cost method was employed and it was found that divers had a consumer surplus of about US$590 per dive. However, given the sample consisted of a much larger proportion of international visitors (84%), an analysis was undertaken to ascertain the effects of the sample heterogeneity on the economic value estimates. The results indicated that the pooled results were biased towards the international sub-sample. Domestic visitors had a much lower consumer surplus of about US$130 per dive. In addition, the split-sampling suggested that the assumption of endogenous stratification using count data models was not appropriate for the international sub-sample. Applying the split-sampling based to the three separate countries illustrated further large disparities in consumer surplus, with Thailand the highest at US1200 per dive and Malaysia the lowest at US$260 per dive. This proves consequential in determining the appropriate user fee structure given the different resulting effects on returning divers based on their origins and diving destinations.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whitehead, John C. & Haab, Timothy C. & Huang, Ju-Chin, 2000.
"Measuring recreation benefits of quality improvements with revealed and stated behavior data,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 339-354, October.
- John C. Whitehead & Timothy C. Haab & Ju-Chin Huang, 1999. "Measuring Recreation Benefits of Quality Improvements with Revealed and Stated Behavior Data," Working Papers 9902, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Fleming, Christopher M. & Cook, Averil, 2007. "The recreational value of Lake McKenzie: An application of the travel cost method," 2007 Conference (51st), February 13-16, 2007, Queenstown, New Zealand 10382, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Udomsak Seenprachawong, 2003. "Economic valuation of coral reefs at Phi Phi Islands, Thailand," International Journal of Global Environmental Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(1), pages 104-114.
- Englin, Jeffrey & Shonkwiler, J S, 1995. "Estimating Social Welfare Using Count Data Models: An Application to Long-Run Recreation Demand under Conditions of Endogenous Stratification and Truncation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 104-12, February.
- Chen, Weiqi & Hong, Huasheng & Liu, Yan & Zhang, Luoping & Hou, Xiaofeng & Raymond, Mark, 2004. "Recreation demand and economic value: An application of travel cost method for Xiamen Island," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 398-406.
- Hellerstein, Daniel & Mendelsohn, Robert, 1993.
"A Theoretical Foundation for Count Data Models,"
25265, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Park, Timothy A. & Bowker, James Michael & Leeworthy, Vernon R., 2000. "Valuing Snorkeling Visits To The Florida Keys With Stated And Revealed Preference Models," Faculty Series 16713, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Udomsak Seenprachawong, 2001. "An Economic Analysis of Coral Reefs in the Andaman Sea of Thailand," EEPSEA Research Report rr2001092, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Sep 2001.
- Beal, Diana J., 1995. "A Travel Cost Analysis of the Value of Carnarvon Gorge National Park for Recreational Use," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 63(02), August.
- Loomis, John B. & Yorizane, Shizuka & Larson, Douglas M., 2000. "Testing Significance Of Multi-Destination And Multi-Purpose Trip Effects In A Travel Cost Method Demand Model For Whale Watching Trips," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(2), October.
- Farr, Marina & Stoeckl, Natalie & Beg, Rabiul Alam, 2011.
"The efficiency of the Environmental Management Charge in the Cairns management area of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 55(3), September.
- Marina Farr & Natalie Stoeckl & Rabiul Alam Beg, 2011. "The efficiency of the Environmental Management Charge in the Cairns management area of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 55(3), pages 322-341, 07.
- Timo Kuosmanen & Eleonora Nillesen & Justus Wesseler, 2004.
"Does ignoring multidestination trips in the travel cost method cause a systematic bias?,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(4), pages 629-651, December.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Nillesen, Eleonora & Wesseler, Justus, 2004. "Does ignoring multidestination trips in the travel cost method cause a systematic bias?," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(4), December.
- Prayaga, Prabha & Rolfe, John & Stoeckl, Natalie, 2010. "The value of recreational fishing in the Great Barrier Reef, Australia: A pooled revealed preference and contingent behaviour model," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 244-251, March.
- Whitten, Stuart M. & Bennett, Jeffrey W., 2001. "A Travel Cost Study of Duck Hunting in the Upper South East of South Australia," 2001 Conference (45th), January 23-25, 2001, Adelaide 126064, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- John Rolfe & Brenda Dyack, 2010. "Testing for convergent validity between travel cost and contingent valuation estimates of recreation values in the Coorong, Australia ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), pages 583-599, October.
- Costanza, Robert & Farber, Stephen C. & Maxwell, Judith, 1989. "Valuation and management of wetland ecosystems," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 335-361, December.
- Shrestha, Ram K. & Seidl, Andrew F. & Moraes, Andre S., 2002. "Value of recreational fishing in the Brazilian Pantanal: a travel cost analysis using count data models," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 289-299, August.
- Grogger, J T & Carson, Richard T, 1991. "Models for Truncated Counts," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 225-38, July-Sept.
- Andersson, Jessica E.C., 2007. "The recreational cost of coral bleaching -- A stated and revealed preference study of international tourists," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3-4), pages 704-715, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare13:152146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.