A Travel Cost Study of Duck Hunting in the Upper South East of South Australia
Wetland protection in the Upper South East (USE) of South Australia yields a range of private and social benefits. The profit motivation for private wetland owners to supply private benefits is clear whilst the provision of purely social benefits by private suppliers has no similar incentive. One potential for the provision of social benefits from private lands arises when a private benefit is jointly supplied with a social benefit. Such is the case of nature-based recreation activities such as duck hunting. In this paper, the results of a study investigating the extent of the benefits enjoyed by duck hunters in the USE are reported. The travel cost method was employed in a survey of those participating in a weekend duck hunt. The extent of the private recreation benefits so estimated is assessed in terms of their potential to stimulate the provision of wetlands for both private and social benefits.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooper, Joseph C., 1999.
"Nonparametric and Semi-Nonparametric Recreational Demand Analysis,"
24780, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph C. Cooper, 2000. "Nonparametric and Semi-Nonparametric Recreational Demand Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 451-462.
- Kling, Catherine L., 1988.
"Comparing welfare estimates of environmental quality changes from recreation demand models,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 331-340, September.
- Kling, Catherine L., 1988. "Comparing Welfare Estimates of Environmental Quality Changes from Recreation Demand Models," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1584, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Whitten, Stuart M. & Bennett, Jeffrey W., 1999. "Farmer Perceptions Of Wetlands And Wetland Management In The Upper South East Of South Australia," 1999 Conference (43th), January 20-22, 1999, Christchurch, New Zealand 125038, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Joseph Cooper & John Loomis, 1993. "Testing whether waterfowl hunting benefits increase with greater water deliveries to wetlands," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 3(6), pages 545-561, December.
- V. Kerry Smith, 1988. "Selection and Recreation Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(1), pages 29-36.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare01:126064. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.