A Travel Cost Analysis of the Value of Carnarvon Gorge National Park for Recreational Use
National parks as natural areas preserved from the more disruptive forms of economic activity provide a multitude of benefits to humankind, and these may be classified as either on-site use benefits or off-site benefits. This paper reports an applied case which is concerned with the measurement of the value of the recreational use benefits for one such national park. Whilst the national park is under no immediate threat, having an indication of the economic value of recreational opportunities within the park can aid future planning and decision-making. The emphasis in this study was to use and test TCM for rapid valuation appraisal. Demand curves for both camping and day visits are estimated. and consumer surplus calculated. A value of $40m. is estimated as the net present value of the recreational use alone in 1993-94 values at 6 per cent real rate of interest in perpetuity.
Volume (Year): 63 (1995)
Issue (Month): 02 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abraham E. Haspel & F. Reed Johnson, 1982. "Multiple Destination Trip Bias in Recreation Benefit Estimation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 58(3), pages 364-372.
- V. Kerry Smith & William H. Desvousges & Matthew P. McGivney, 1983. "The Opportunity Cost of Travel Time in Recreation Demand Models," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 59(3), pages 259-278.
- John R. McKean & Donn M. Johnson & Richard G. Walsh, 1995. "Valuing Time in Travel Cost Demand Analysis: An Empirical Investigation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 71(1), pages 96-105.
- V. Kerry Smith, 1993. "Nonmarket Valuation of Environmental Resources: An Interpretive Appraisal," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(1), pages 1-26.
- W. Douglass Shaw, 1992. "Searching for the Opportunity Cost of an Individual's Time," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(1), pages 107-115.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:remaae:12337. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.