Valuing Time in Travel Cost Demand Analysis: An Empirical Investigation
The opportunity cost of time is usually a significant part of the price variable in the travel cost demand model. Thus, its accurate measurement is important to the estimation of demand and benefit valuation for nonmarket resources. This paper empirically tests models which assume that income is the basis for opportunity time cost with an alternative "pooled" model based on a disequilibrium labor market for some recreationists. Acceptance of the hypothesis that disequilibrium models may be necessary for some individuals implies increased survey information requirements so that the appropriate model can be applied to each individual.
- Edwards, Peter E.T. & Parsons, George R. & Myers, Kelley H., 2011.
"The economic value of viewing migratory shorebirds on the Delaware Bay: An application of the single site travel cost model using on-site data,"
35832, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Peter E.T. Edwards & George R. Parsons & Kelley H. Myers, 2011. "The Economic Value of Viewing Migratory Shorebirds on the Delaware Bay: An Application of the Single Site Travel Cost Model Using On-Site Data," Working Papers 11-03, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Parroco, Anna Maria & Vaccina, Franco & De Cantis, Stefano & Ferrante, Mauro, 2012. "Multi-destination trips: A survey on incoming zourism in Sicily," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-21, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Parroco, Anna Maria & Vaccina, Franco & De Cantis, Stefano & Ferrante, Mauro, 2012. "Multi-destination trips and tourism statistics: Empirical evidences in Sicily," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 6, pages 1-27.
- García De La Fuente, L. & Colina Vuelta, A., 2004. "Métodos directos e indirectos en la valoración económica de bienes ambientales, aplicación al valor de uso recreativo del Parque Natural de Somiedo," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 22, pages 1-26, Diciembre.
- Gonzales, Eric Justin, 2011. "Allocation of Space and the Costs of Multimodal Transport in Cities," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7s28n4nj, University of California Transportation Center.
- Bengochea, A., 2003. "Valoración del uso recreativo de un espacio natural," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 21, pages 321-338, Agosto.
- Crooker, John R., 2007. "Nonparametric Bounds on Welfare with Measurement Error in Prices: Techniques for Non-Market Resource Valuation," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(2), October.
- Common, Mick S. & Bull, Tim & Stoeckl, Natalie, 1999. "The Travel Cost Method: an empirical investigation of Randall's Difficulty," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 43(4), December.
- Michael S. Common & Tim Bull & Natalie Stoeckl, 1997. "The Travel Cost Method: an Empirical Investigation of Randall's Difficulty," Working Papers in Ecological Economics 9705, Australian National University, Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, Ecological Economics Program.
- Michael Kremer & Jessica Leino & Edward Miguel & Alix Peterson Zwane, 2011. "Spring Cleaning: Rural Water Impacts, Valuation, and Property Rights Institutions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 126(1), pages 145-205.
- Michael Kremer & Jessica Leino & Edward Miguel & Alix Peterson Zwane, 2009. "Spring Cleaning: Rural Water Impacts, Valuation and Property Rights Institutions," NBER Working Papers 15280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McKercher, Bob & Wong, Celia & Lau, Gigi, 2006. "How tourists consume a destination," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 647-652, May.
- McKean, John R. & Johnson, Donn M. & Taylor, R. Garth, 2001. "The Value Of Sport Fishing In The Snake River Basin Of Central Idaho," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36190, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Ovaskainen, Ville & Neuvonen, Marjo & Pouta, Eija, 2012. "Modelling recreation demand with respondent-reported driving cost and stated cost of travel time: A Finnish case," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 303-317.
- Crooker, John R., 2007. "Nonparametric Bounds on Welfare with Measurement Error in Prices: Techniques for Non-Market Resource Valuation," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(02), pages 239-252, October.
- Beal, Diana J., 1995. "A Travel Cost Analysis of the Value of Carnarvon Gorge National Park for Recreational Use," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 63(02), August.
- P. Poor & Jamie Smith, 2004. "Travel Cost Analysis of a Cultural Heritage Site: The Case of Historic St. Mary's City of Maryland," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 28(3), pages 217-229, August.
- Fezzi, Carlo & Bateman, Ian J. & Ferrini, Silvia, 2014. "Using revealed preferences to estimate the Value of Travel Time to recreation sites," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 58-70.
- Gonzales, Eric Justin, 2011. "Allocation of Space and the Costs of Multimodal Transport in Cities," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt07x7h9pg, University of California Transportation Center.
- Amoako-Tuffour, Joe & Martınez-Espineira, Roberto, 2008. "Leisure and the Opportunity Cost of Travel Time in Recreation Demand Analysis: A Re-Examination," MPRA Paper 8573, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kevin E. Henrickson & Erica H. Johnson, 2013. "The Demand for Spatially Complementary National Parks," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 89(2), pages 330-345.
- K. Willis & J. Snowball & C. Wymer & José Grisolía, 2012. "A count data travel cost model of theatre demand using aggregate theatre booking data," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 36(2), pages 91-112, May.
- Johnson, Donn M. & McKean, John R. & Taylor, R. Garth, 2000. "Estimating The Value Of Recreation On The Snake River Reservoirs Using A Disequilibrium Travel Cost Model," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36523, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Jihye Byun & Sungjin Park & Kitae Jang, 2017. "Rebound Effect or Induced Demand? Analyzing the Compound Dual Effects on VMT in the U.S," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(2), pages 1-10, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:71:y:1995:i:1:p:96-105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed