Improving Market Access for Smallholders: Challenges and Opportunities
The advent of globalisation has brought many opportunities in trade, capital and labour flows and in exchange of information and technology. For agricultural producers, globalisation offers the possibility of expanded markets. But integration into the global economy is fraught with challenges, particularly for farmers in developing countries. Not only are they faced with increasing competition from other farmers within their countries, but also from producers around the world. The challenge is to find how farmers in developing countries can access these markets to share in the benefits of globalisation. This paper discusses the challenges and threats faced by smallholder farmers and outlines some strategies to improve market access by smallholders.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phil Simmons, 2002. "Overview of Smallholder Contract Farming in Developing Countries," Working Papers 02-04, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Fleming, E. M., 1990. "Proposal for a marketing systems research approach in agricultural development planning," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 97-111.
- Gow, Hamish R. & Streeter, Deborah H. & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2000.
"How private contract enforcement mechanisms can succeed where public institutions fail: the case of Juhocukor a.s,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(3), September.
- Gow, Hamish R. & Streeter, Deborah H. & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2000. "How private contract enforcement mechanisms can succeed where public institutions fail: the case of Juhocukor a.s," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 253-265, September.
- Coase, Ronald, 1998. "The New Institutional Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 72-74, May.
- Diaz-Bonilla, Eugenio, ed. & Robinson, Sherman, ed., 2001. "Shaping globalization for poverty alleviation and food security:," 2020 vision focus 8, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Chowdhury, Shyamal & Negassa, Asfaw & Torero, Maximo, 2005. "Market institutions," MTID discussion papers 89, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Reardon, Thomas & Codron, Jean-Marie & Busch, Lawrence & Bingen, R. James & Harris, Craig, 1999. "Global Change In Agrifood Grades And Standards: Agribusiness Strategic Responses In Developing Countries," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 2(03/04).
- Lele, Uma, 1981. "Co-operatives and the poor: A comparative perspective," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 55-72, January.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2000. "Two Principles for the Next Round or, How to Bring Developing Countries in from the Cold," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(04), pages 437-454, 04.
- Rola-Rubzen, Maria Fay & Hardaker, J. Brian & Dillon, John L., 2001. "Agricultural economists and world poverty: progress and prospects," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(1), March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare06:139894. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.