No free polluting anymore: The impact of a vehicle pollution charge on air quality
The paper analyzes the impact of a vehicle pollution charge (Ecopass), enforced at peak time, on nitrogen oxides concentration in Milan. Using hourly data on pollution concentration and a vector auto regressive model, I estimate the short and long run effects of the policy, the effects outside the Ecopass area and during off-peak time. Results suggest that Ecopass reduced pollution in the short run, but had no effect in the long run. The effect on zones outside Ecopass area is not homogeneous, suggesting substitution effects in some areas of the city. There is no systematic evidence of increased pollution levels during off-peak time due to Ecopass.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Crompton, Paul & Wu, Yanrui, 2005.
"Energy consumption in China: past trends and future directions,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 195-208, January.
- Paul Crompton & Yanrui Wu, 2004. "Energy Consumption in China: Past Trends and Future Directions," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 04-22, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Michael Greenstone, 2003.
"Did the Clean Air Act Cause the Remarkable Decline in Sulfur Dioxide Concentrations?,"
0407, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Greenstone, Michael, 2004. "Did the Clean Air Act cause the remarkable decline in sulfur dioxide concentrations?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 585-611, May.
- Rotaris, Lucia & Danielis, Romeo & Marcucci, Edoardo & Massiani, Jérôme, 2010. "The urban road pricing scheme to curb pollution in Milan, Italy: Description, impacts and preliminary cost-benefit analysis assessment," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(5), pages 359-375, June.
- Martin Eichenbaum & Jonas D. M. Fisher, 2004.
"Fiscal policy in the aftermath of 9/11,"
Working Paper Series
WP-04-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Georgina Santos, 2004. "Urban Congestion Charging: A Second-Best Alternative," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 38(3), pages 345-369, September.
- Lucas W. Davis, 2008. "The Effect of Driving Restrictions on Air Quality in Mexico City," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(1), pages 38-81, 02.
- Newbery, David M, 1988. "Road Damage Externalities and Road User Charges," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 295-316, March.
- Antonio Bento & Daniel Kaffine & Kevin Roth & Matthew Zaragoza-Watkins, 2014. "The Effects of Regulation in the Presence of Multiple Unpriced Externalities: Evidence from the Transportation Sector," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 1-29, August.
- Valerie A. Ramey, 2009.
"Identifying Government Spending Shocks: It's All in the Timing,"
NBER Working Papers
15464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Valerie A. Ramey, 2011. "Identifying Government Spending Shocks: It's all in the Timing," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 126(1), pages 1-50.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- AkbostancI, Elif & Türüt-AsIk, Serap & Tunç, G. Ipek, 2009. "The relationship between income and environment in Turkey: Is there an environmental Kuznets curve?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 861-867, March.
- Santos, G. & Rojey, L. & Newbery, D.M., 2000. "The Environmental Benefits from Road Pricing," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0020, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Marvão Pereira, Alfredo & Marvão Pereira, Rui Manuel, 2010.
"Is fuel-switching a no-regrets environmental policy? VAR evidence on carbon dioxide emissions, energy consumption and economic performance in Portugal,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 227-242, January.
- Alfredo M. Pereira & Rui Manuel Marvão Pereira, 2009. "Is Fuel-Switching a No-Regrets Environmental Policy? VAR Evidence on Carbon Dioxide Emissions, Energy Consumption and Economic Performance in Portugal," Working Papers 87, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Alfredo Marvão Pereira & Rui Manuel Marvão Pereira, 2008. "Is Fuel-Switching a No-Regrets Environmental Policy? VAR Evidence on Carbon Dioxide Emissions, Energy Consumption and Economic Performance in Portugal," Economics Working Papers 05_2008, University of Évora, Department of Economics (Portugal).
- Francisco Gallego & Juan-Pablo Montero & Christian Salas, 2011. "The Effect of Transport Policies on Car Use: Theory and Evidence from Latin American Cities," Documentos de Trabajo 407, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Auffhammer, Maximilian & Bento, Antonio M. & Lowe, Scott E., 2008.
"Measuring the Effects of the Clean Air Act Amendments on Ambient PM10 Concentrations: The critical importance of a spatially disaggregated analysis,"
127077, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Auffhammer, Maximilian & Bento, Antonio M. & Lowe, Scott E., 2009. "Measuring the effects of the Clean Air Act Amendments on ambient PM10 concentrations: The critical importance of a spatially disaggregated analysis," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 15-26, July.
- Geweke, John & Meese, Richard, 1981.
"Estimating regression models of finite but unknown order,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 162-162, May.
- Geweke, John F & Meese, Richard, 1981. "Estimating Regression Models of Finite but Unknown Order," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 55-70, February.
- Derek W. Bunn & Carlo Fezzi, 2007. "Interaction of European Carbon Trading and Energy Prices," Working Papers 2007.63, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Romeo Danielis & Lucia Rotaris & Edoardo Marcucci & Jérôme Massiani, 2011. "An economic, environmental and transport evaluation of the Ecopass scheme in Milan: three years later," Working Papers 1103, SIET Società Italiana di Economia dei Trasporti e della Logistica.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:150575. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.