The Effects of Exports on Facility Environmental Performance: Evidence from a Matching Approach
This paper employs matching techniques to investigate the effects of facility export status on environmental performance. Using facility-level criteria air emission data in the U.S. manufacturing industry, we find the industry-specific effects of export status on emission intensity, measured by emissions per value of sale. In some industries, there is consistent and robust evidence supporting the superior environmental performance of exporters relative to non-exporters in terms of emission intensity for all criteria air pollutants tracked in the paper. In other industries, we find evidence that exporters appear to have higher emission intensity than non-exporters for some pollutants but not all.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kolko, Jed & Neumark, David, 2010.
"Does local business ownership insulate cities from economic shocks?,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 103-115, January.
- Jed Kolko & David Neumark, 2010. "Does Local Business Ownership Insulate Cities from Economic Shocks?," NBER Chapters, in: Cities and Entrepreneurship National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kolko, Jed & Neumark, David, 2009. "Does Local Business Ownership Insulate Cities from Economic Shocks?," IZA Discussion Papers 4415, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jed Kolko & David Neumark, 2008. "Changes In The Location Of Employment And Ownership: Evidence From California," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 717-744.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Hibiki, Akira & Tsurumi, Tetsuya, 2009.
"Does trade openness improve environmental quality?,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 346-363, November.
- MANAGI Shunsuke & HIBIKI Akira & TSURUMI Tetsuya, 2008. "Does Trade Liberalization Reduce Pollution Emissions?," Discussion papers 08013, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Sourafel Girma & David Greenaway & Richard Kneller, 2004. "Does Exporting Increase Productivity? A Microeconometric Analysis of Matched Firms," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 855-866, November.
- Werner Antweiler & Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 2001.
"Is Free Trade Good for the Environment?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 877-908, September.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 2005.
"Is Trade Good or Bad for the Environment? Sorting Out the Causality,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 85-91, February.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2003. "Is Trade Good or Bad for the Environment? Sorting Out the Causality," Working Paper Series rwp03-038, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 2002. "Is Trade Good or Bad for the Environment? Sorting Out the Causality," NBER Working Papers 9201, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svetlana Batrakova & Ronald Davies, 2012.
"Is there an environmental benefit to being an exporter? Evidence from firm-level data,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 148(3), pages 449-474, September.
- Svetlana Batrakova & Ronald Davies, 2010. "Is there an environmental benefit to being an exporter? Evidence from firm level data," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp322, IIIS, revised Mar 2010.
- Svetlana Batrakova & Ronald B. Davies, 2010. "Is there an environmental benefit to being an exporter? Evidence from firm level data," Working Papers 201007, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Girma, Sourafel & Greenaway, David & Kneller, Richard, 2003. "Export market exit and performance dynamics: a causality analysis of matched firms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 181-187, August.
- Girma, Sourafel & Hanley, Aoife & Tintelnot, Felix, 2008.
"Exporting and the environment: a new look with micro-data,"
Kiel Working Papers
1423, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Sourafel Girma & Aoife Hanley & Felix Tintelnot, 2008. "Exporting and the Environment: A New Look with Micro-Data," Kiel Working Papers 1423, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Michael Lechner, 2005.
"Some practical issues in the evaluation of heterogeneous labour market programmes by matching methods,"
Labor and Demography
- Michael Lechner, 2002. "Some practical issues in the evaluation of heterogeneous labour market programmes by matching methods," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 165(1), pages 59-82.
- Rikard Forslid & Toshihiro Okubo & Karen Helene Ulltveit-Moe, 2014.
"Why are Firms that Export Cleaner? International Trade and CO2 Emissions,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4817, CESifo Group Munich.
- Forslid, Rikard & Okubo, Toshihiro & Ulltveit-Moe, Karen-Helene, 2011. "Why are firms that export cleaner? International trade and CO2 emissions," CEPR Discussion Papers 8583, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 1994. "North-South Trade and the Environment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(3), pages 755-787.
- John A. List & Daniel L. Millimet & Per G. Fredriksson & W. Warren McHone, 2003. "Effects of Environmental Regulations on Manufacturing Plant Births: Evidence from a Propensity Score Matching Estimator," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 944-952, November.
- Sascha O. Becker & Andrea Ichino, 2002. "Estimation of average treatment effects based on propensity scores," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(4), pages 358-377, November.
- Copeland, Brian R & Taylor, M Scott, 1995. "Trade and Transboundary Pollution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(4), pages 716-37, September.
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra E. Todd, 1997. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(4), pages 605-654.
- McAusland, Carol & Millimet, Daniel L., 2013. "Do national borders matter? Intranational trade, international trade, and the environment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 411-437.
- Michael Greenstone, 2002. "The Impacts of Environmental Regulations on Industrial Activity: Evidence from the 1970 and 1977 Clean Air Act Amendments and the Census of Manufactures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(6), pages 1175-1219, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:149550. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.